Question Rainbow Static over display

grimm.spector

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
I recently picked up a new TV and attached it to my PC. Previously I attached a different SDR TV using the same HDMI cable, and it worked fine no issues, except it wouldn't register as HDR with Windows. I picked up another cable, a monoprice cable rated for HDMI 2.1. HDR works, screen works, but I am now often getting this weird rainbow colored static over the top of what I'm looking at, mostly on the lower half of the screen. It happens often on white background pages and screens, much less on other screens. Sometimes when I scroll through a page the upper edge of the artifact will stay on the same spot on the page (i.e. it moves up with the content). I want to know if this is perhaps related to the cable? Or if it's an issue with the screen itself? Not sure what to do to resolve it. Switching from one tab to another and back can make it disappear and show up, just on one of the tabs in the browser as an example. Video of the effect at the imgur link.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ssH7KY1

Edit:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX 470-F GAMING
Ram: G.SKILL F4-3000C16D-16GTZR Trident Z RGB Series 16GB, 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4-3000Mhz (PC4 24000) Desktop Memory
SSD/HDD: Samsung EVO 970 256 GB
GPU: nVidia EVGA 2060 Super 8 GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
Chassis: NZXT Case, unsure of model
Monitor: TCL 43" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Android TV - 43S434-CA

nVidia driver 511.23, I've done a full wipe of the driver and reinstalled to see if it would change anything, doesn't appear to have. I didn't do it via command prompt, I just used nVidia's installer after removing it. I don't currently have access to a donor system to try.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
We're going to need a little more information. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As for your GPU, what driver version are you working with? Have you tried using DDU to uninstall said GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling the latest driver for GPU in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You might want to see if you can source a laptop or a donor system to tether said system to the new TV and see if the issue persists.

grimm.spector

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
We're going to need a little more information. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

As for your GPU, what driver version are you working with? Have you tried using DDU to uninstall said GPU drivers, then manually reinstalling the latest driver for GPU in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

You might want to see if you can source a laptop or a donor system to tether said system to the new TV and see if the issue persists.

Thanks, I added the details requested.

grimm.spector

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
Further analysis, procured a second cable same result, and a display port adapter to use a different port on the computer, also same result. Seems like it may be the system, unless Windows has a massive uncorrected HDR rendering bug.

grimm.spector

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
I replaced the entire TV, with an identical TV, new power cable, still does it ... I can't imagine it's the graphics card as I tried all three ports, two of which are display port, is it Windows?? I'm so frustrated.

grimm.spector

Reputable
Nov 24, 2017
Boot the system go into BIOS and see what kind of image you get in the BIOS with the working cable/s.

Image appears normal, but I'm not sure if this is a useful test, as the image USUALLY appears normal in windows, and doesn't appear to occur during games in Fullscreen mode, just some of the time in windows or borderless modes and in regular desktop applications.