[SOLVED] Raising the voltage in bios does not register in hwinfo

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
I want to oc my athlon x4 840...
But to do that I need to raise the voltage. My problem is when I raise my voltage by about 0.3 volts,
the hwinfo still reads 1.413 as max voltage. Whats the problem here?

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Do you see any change with voltages when using HWMonitor? Also, what is the make and model of your motherboard? Latest BIOS version on motherboard?
Honestly I was not looking at other voltages in hwmonitor.. I was only looking at core VID. Can you tell me which voltages should I look at when increasing the vcore voltage in bios?

MB: Gigabyte F2A68HM-S1

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Vcore is the voltage the cpu actually used, VID is the power the cpu demands the VRM's supply. A well set OC will put the VID and vcore within 0.05v of each other, tempered by LLC and + or - offsets.
But to do that I need to raise the voltage
No. To do that, you need to tailor the voltages for what the cpu needs for OS stability. That can often mean lowering the voltage to the minimum stable voltage, most don't need to actually raise voltages unless they are pushing the cpu to very high OC limits.

I strongly suggest much deeper research into OC of that cpu and its general requirements, including whether or not your motherboard can realistically support higher OC limits, many of those FM2+ motherboards weren't upto the task, a small OC was all they could handle.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Vcore is the voltage the cpu actually used, VID is the power the cpu demands the VRM's supply. A well set OC will put the VID and vcore within 0.05v of each other, tempered by LLC and + or - offsets.

No. To do that, you need to tailor the voltages for what the cpu needs for OS stability. That can often mean lowering the voltage to the minimum stable voltage, most don't need to actually raise voltages unless they are pushing the cpu to very high OC limits.

I strongly suggest much deeper research into OC of that cpu and its general requirements, including whether or not your motherboard can realistically support higher OC limits, many of those FM2+ motherboards weren't upto the task, a small OC was all they could handle.
I have already bumped my clock from 3.7 to 4.3 ghz, and I want more. :)
I just dont know at what voltage should I look at. I have a general idea of the maximum safe voltage.
I just dont know which voltage should I look at.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Vcore. But the question is, Is the OS stable? If it is, no need to bump the voltage at all, can even lower it.
I dont think I can maintain my current frequency with lower voltage. And I definitely cannot maintain higher clocks with current voltage. Currently the os is stable.
How do I find maximum safe vcore for my cpu?