[SOLVED] RAM after upgrade stuck at 2,400 MHz

ShawnCZek

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
After upgrading RAM by buying the exact same sticks, I ran into an issue with their frequency. While before installing them, they were running fine at 4,000 MHz (as they should be), after upgrading to full 32 GB, they are stuck at 2,400 MHz no matter what I do. Enabling XMP profile changed nothing, manually selecting the DRAM configuration did nothing either. Even when I tried lower frequency, in the end, the speed stayed at the default value; 2,400 MHz. I am so confused with this as the XMP profile tells me it should be running at 4,000 MHz but it is not.

Motherboard: MSI MEG Z390 ACE
RAM: 4x Kingston HyperX 4000MHz 19CL Predator RGB 8 GB
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K

Therefore, I am rising my question here at the forum seeking any help or experience with a similar setup and how to fix such an issue.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
So you had 16 gb and bought another 16 gb of the same RAM, maker, speeds etc.... correct?

If you did not buy the full 32gb in a kit then there is no guarantee that even from the same maker etc they will run the full speed as they are from a different batch with slightly different silicon quality, chips etc. That is why RAM is sold in kits. Buying 2 sticks and then another 2 later might work but also may not.

Sounds to me the Mobo sees a difference and is running at the safe default settings. Not much you can do other than try to manually overide the timings but I doubt if it would be stable.

If you really want or need 32gb RAM I would sell the 4x8 sticks and get 2x16gb instead.
So you had 16 gb and bought another 16 gb of the same RAM, maker, speeds etc.... correct?

If you did not buy the full 32gb in a kit then there is no guarantee that even from the same maker etc they will run the full speed as they are from a different batch with slightly different silicon quality, chips etc. That is why RAM is sold in kits. Buying 2 sticks and then another 2 later might work but also may not.

Sounds to me the Mobo sees a difference and is running at the safe default settings. Not much you can do other than try to manually overide the timings but I doubt if it would be stable.

If you really want or need 32gb RAM I would sell the 4x8 sticks and get 2x16gb instead.

Solution

ShawnCZek

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
Yes, I bought the exact same sticks in the 2x8GB kit. Same brand, same speed, same latency, ... completely the same parameters, basically. By checking CPU-Z, it is all same as well... except for the week and the year of when they were made. So as you say, the silicon quality might be different.

I will try to override the timings to see if I can achieve anything better than the stock speed.

ShawnCZek

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
Even with changed timings in BIOS, CPU-Z still reports the previous ones; the default ones. So it seems like the motherboard does not really like the "newer" sticks.

Thank you for your help, anyway. I have never thought that even with the exact same sticks, there might be a problem if they are newer. I mean they are working together, that is true. It is just impossible to get the full power out of them.

Time to return them back to the store...

Reactions: Schlachtwolf