[SOLVED] RAM and CPU clock speeds in Bios versus CPUZ

Sep 27, 2020
Okay so very new to building PCs and setting everything up in bios. Previously just got prebuilt gaming rigs.

Laat week I built a new gaming PC (my very first yay!) but I have some confusion...

I used AI Suite to OC (after setting the XMP profile I). Well I got a stable AI OC of 4900mhz (i9-10850k). I wasn't comfortable OCing the CPU manually, so I was just looking for a stable 24/7.

Anyways, when I go to the bios EZ-Mode (asus uefi) the XMP profile is set to disabled. The right side of uefi reads "AI Overclocking" and its on "AI Optimized"....in the top left corner it shows "information" and I still see my i9-10850k at stock 3.60ghz. Then it says Memory: 65536 MB (ddr4 3600MHz).

BUT below that it says DRAM Status as Dimm A1: G-Skill 16384MB 2133MHz. Dimm A2: etc..B1 etc.., etc... all four DRAM status reads stock 2133MHz.

Like I said...I used AI suite to OC. The XMP profile is on "disabled"...is this because my OC was AI optimized? I want to make sure my RAM is at advertised speeds of 3600MHz.

On "Advanced Mode" in bios on the right side under hardware monitor it reads CPU/Memory and says Frequency 3600 MHz and DRAM freq 3600 MHz.

This seems conflicting to me because EZ-Mode lists my DIMM slots as stock clock speeds of 2133mhz under status but in tbe other areas it reads the advertised speeds of 3600. Which one is the one its actually running at? and all spots in bios show my CPU as 3600MHz instead of 4900...does the bios not show OC'd speeds?

Also...fwiw I used CPUZ and the core cpu clock speed is 4900 and the memory is reading 1800mhz.

Since its DDR I double that 1800 right?

I just wonder why the bios shows RAM speed in some areas as 3600 but dimm status as 2133. Bios is really confusing me lol. And nowhere in the bios is it reading anything other than my stock CPU speeds, however even in task manager, just like CPUZ (and HWinfo) it's showing 4900mhz so I think the cpu oc is fine?

Really sorry these are probably super dumb questions but I'm trying to learn. I would have expected AI overclock to keep my XMP profile enabled..especially considering CPUZ shows (under SPD tab) SPD Ext: XMP 2.0

Really strange and confusing. This is however, my first week ever looking at the bios in my whole life, so excuse the ignorance plz!

Thanks so much. Full specs listed below;

i9-10850k
Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero
NZXT Kraken Z73
64gb Trident Z Royal @ 3600Mhz
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio
EVGA Supernova p2 1000w
Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Solution
Hi OGm00se and Welcome to the Forum :)

What your doing is trying to interact with Bios using AIsuite and also possibly making changes in Bios.
I know it's pretty looking software but get rid of AIsuite and only Overclock in Bios. Undo any Overclocks and clear your CMOS. You have a very good chance of Bios corruption with what you are doing.

Learn your Bios and check out some vids and guides specific to your motherboard Bios and chipset.
Here is one of many that will help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM5XO96b4G0
And here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0v0h_ikHrg

Even if it's not exactly your MB, CPU, and RAM combo, the...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Go by Cpuz and double the dram frequency rate.

Reason why bios is showing ram as 2133 in some places is because that's what they actually are by default (SPD - serial presence detect), until XMP is enabled to run capable ram with faster profiles beyond standard. Every ram module must have standard modes for which motherboard identifies and operates them properly without being too involved with settings (plug and play).

Using Ai suite overrides bios settings temporarily while in Windows and settings should return back to normal outside of it, ie booting into bios where Ai suite no longer has an influence.

Enable XMP in the bios yourself, don't let Ai Suite do it for you. Same goes for CPU overclocking. Trouble with overclocking programs is you need to be very careful how much voltage it's actually applying. Do keep tabs on voltage and temps. Research safe voltage, especially when cpu is actually working that Ai Suite isn't over compensating.

Hi OGm00se and Welcome to the Forum :)

What your doing is trying to interact with Bios using AIsuite and also possibly making changes in Bios.
I know it's pretty looking software but get rid of AIsuite and only Overclock in Bios. Undo any Overclocks and clear your CMOS. You have a very good chance of Bios corruption with what you are doing.

Learn your Bios and check out some vids and guides specific to your motherboard Bios and chipset.
Here is one of many that will help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM5XO96b4G0
And here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0v0h_ikHrg

Even if it's not exactly your MB, CPU, and RAM combo, the principles are the same.

Don't try to jump to your max target frequency in one hit but in 200MHz at a time then stress test for stability.
It takes time and patience to reach your MAX Overclock.

Solution
Sep 27, 2020
Wow thanks guys! so you recommending that I just reset all Bios defaults and uninstalling AI suite, THEN clearing CMOS right? Do I take the battery out or just need to press clear CMOS?

Thank you so much! Will be watching those videos first thing in the morning!!

Sep 27, 2020
Oh and also fwiw, AI overclocking was recommended by a friend who knows nothing about overclocking to begin with lol...so I sincerely appreciate your guy's advice with doing it manually. Neither of us know what we're doing apparently lol

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Uninstall Ai and then just load defaults in the bios 🙂. Don't need to go through the trouble of resetting cmos the physical way, loading defaults does just that, returns cmos (where bios stores system parameters) to default settings.

Wow thanks guys! so you recommending that I just reset all Bios defaults and uninstalling AI suite, THEN clearing CMOS right? Do I take the battery out or just need to press clear CMOS?

Thank you so much! Will be watching those videos first thing in the morning!!
Correct and as boju says it's easy to load default settings if you can get into Bios (sometimes you can't) With ASUS you have your CMOS clear button on the rear IO panel. You don't need to remove the CMOS battery.

Sep 27, 2020
Wow you guys are amazingly helpful!! Will be reading and watching everything I can about manual overclocking so I can get rid of this AI stuff.

You all kick ass thank you!!

Sep 27, 2020
Nice rig btw. Nothing is gonna stand in your way.

Thanks! It's my first one I did myself and now im addicted lol! And I've learned a TON.

I know I went overkill on some things with this build, but I had to give up my motorcycle hobby (health reasons), so I splurged in some areas.

Next I would love to do a budget amd build just because I'm having SO much fun and would like to learn both platforms and maybe even get into some video editing.

I like all the configuring and software side of things too. It makes me feel awesome when I accomplish anything with this build (that first boot was so exciting). It's much better than buying a prebuilt or having a company build one for me. If I can successfully get a stable 24/7 OC manually I'll be ecstatic!

Having to drop a hobby like riding, I wanna make the most out of this new hobby and these forums are a godsend! Makes learning everything alot less overwhelming. Tom's Hardware is pretty much my #1 resource. Y'all are awesome.