Question Ram being underclocked by motherboard?

Aug 1, 2019
Soooo, im wondering... I have picked up some 16GB of DDR3 2400mhz but my motherboard only suppotrs 2133mhz max. So why is it that its underclocking the ram to only 1333mhz instead of 2133mhz and is there a way to manually clock it to 2133mhz? i have tried setting it to 2133mhz in the bios and i also tried setting the voltage to 1.65 as this is what this ram is supposed to run at... Any Help Much Appreciated.

and yes i know my mobo is assss (asus M5A97)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Is bios reading 2133 or 1333? Windows/apps read sdr so that'll be 1066*2. So think you mean the bios reverts back to 1333.

Have you tried xmp or amp, whichever memory mode that board has?

How many sticks is 16GB made of?

Aug 1, 2019
Is bios reading 2133 or 1333? Windows/apps read sdr so that'll be 1066*2. So think you mean the bios reverts back to 1333.

Ill explaine best i can...

i was getting FPS drops in fortnite (i was using only 8GB 1600mhz RAM) in 1920/1080. I was told most 1080 res needs abit more than 8GB, so i picked up 2x 8GB 2400mhz. and when i check the speed in CPU-Z it was showing only 668mhz (obviously that doubles to 1336mhz) so i looked in the bios and it said my ram was only running at 1333mhz. I know my MOBO only supports up to 2133mhz so i wanted to try and set it manually in the bios. on doing so i set it to 2133 and got no signal on reboot. i even set the voltage from 1.5v to 1,65v as this is what it says on the 2400mhz modules.

Also when i used the auto overclock in bios it set it to 2133mhz but only set my cpu to 3.8ghz and when i overclock it manually i cant set the RAM to 2133mhz along side my usual CPU overclock to 4.3ghz. so im just getting confused

Aug 1, 2019

I dont think my mobo has XPM or AMP

its a asus M5A97 R2.0 ( i know its assss) i just wanted my current pc to run a little smoother while i get the rest of my parts for my new build.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Had a look at your manual. Asus uses d.o.c.p, thats xmp equivalent.

Anyhow further reading saw 2133 in the qvl list showing only 2 sticks. 2000 appears to accept 4x dimms.

Try two sticks with docp enabled or do it manually at 2133.

Then try all four at 2000mhz.

Aug 1, 2019

Anyhow further reading saw 2133 in the qvl list showing only 2 sticks. 2000 appears to accept 4x dimms.

[/QUOT

when i used d.o.c.p i cant remeber what it set the ram to i think it was 1600 and when i changed it to 2133 i think i did the same as before and gave me no signal on reboot. i only have 2 sticks of 8GB

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I didn't see your post before when i posted regarding the manual.

Ill explaine best i can...

i was getting FPS drops in fortnite (i was using only 8GB 1600mhz RAM) in 1920/1080. I was told most 1080 res needs abit more than 8GB, so i picked up 2x 8GB 2400mhz. and when i check the speed in CPU-Z it was showing only 668mhz (obviously that doubles to 1336mhz) so i looked in the bios and it said my ram was only running at 1333mhz. I know my MOBO only supports up to 2133mhz so i wanted to try and set it manually in the bios. on doing so i set it to 2133 and got no signal on reboot. i even set the voltage from 1.5v to 1,65v as this is what it says on the 2400mhz modules.

Also when i used the auto overclock in bios it set it to 2133mhz but only set my cpu to 3.8ghz and when i overclock it manually i cant set the RAM to 2133mhz along side my usual CPU overclock to 4.3ghz. so im just getting confused

It's possible 2133 isn't achievable while overclocked.

How long have you been playing Fortnite (before memory upgrade) on this machine until the game went to poo? I've seen some people say the latest Fortnite update has done something to degrade performance.

Was your previous memory config 1x8gb or 2x 4gb?

Aug 1, 2019
I didn't see your post before when i posted regarding the manual.

It's possible 2133 isn't achievable while overclocked.

How long have you been playing Fortnite (before memory upgrade) on this machine until the game went to poo? I've seen some people say the latest Fortnite update has done something to degrade performance.

Was your previous memory config 1x8gb or 2x 4gb?
ive been playing fortnite on this system for about 2months now i was fine for the first month or more and yes it seems to be after avery update they do. but some people i play with dont get this issue (obviously got better pc than me) lol.

before i had 2 sticks of 2GB and one stick of 4GB so it was a poor arrangment to start with tbh. so i did want to change the ram anyway

boju

Titan
Ambassador
May have to sacrifice ram speed to maintain your overclock. Since you've moved away from 3x sticks means your system is in solid dual channel rather than dual & single so that in itself should be an improvement.

Regarding Fortnite specifically, try find out what the difference is. If it ran good before perhaps it's Fortnite not agreeing with your current video drivers or may even have issues with the latest. Have you tried the latest or an older driver?

What video card do you have?

Aug 1, 2019
May have to sacrifice ram speed to maintain your overclock. Since you've moved away from 3x sticks means your system is in solid dual channel rather than dual & single so that in itself should be an improvement.

Regarding Fortnite specifically, try find out what the difference is. If it ran good before perhaps it's Fortnite not agreeing with your current video drivers or may even have issues with the latest. Have you tried the latest or an older driver?

What video card do you have?

i dont mind running less than 2400mhz on the ram i just dont want it as low as 1333mhz. as long as it still uses the 16gb of ram to its advantage rather than the previous 8GB i had. im sure the best OC i got was 4.3ghz cpu and 1772 ram speed (cant remember what the exact ram speed was but it was 17**mhz)

and im using a GTX 960 ssc i know thats only 2GB. TBH i think it did the same with the previous driver and the current one

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm yea well the jedec profiles offered by the ram is either 666x2 or 1200x2 referring to cpuz spd. So in the bios there wouldn't be docp profiles for 1600 or 1866 for example right?

To manually adjust ram past jedec, have you tried manually inputting the main four CL timing values? And perhaps increase CL timings up a notch.

Aug 1, 2019
I have just done my usual 4.3ghz over clock in bios, and tried setting the RAM to 1866mhz the voltage was reading 1.65v on auto I didn’t change the timing cos I don’t know what it should be at 1866mhz. And I got the no signal and had to manually reboot the pc.... no my ram has set itself to 1333 again

Aug 1, 2019
I have just done my usual 4.3ghz over clock in bios, and tried setting the RAM to 1866mhz the voltage was reading 1.65v on auto I didn’t change the timing cos I don’t know what it should be at 1866mhz. And I got the no signal and had to manually reboot the pc.... no my ram has set itself to 1333 again

And that was on docp

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cas timings for 1200(2400) according to your spd tab is 11 13 13 31. Write those down and the abbreviations in the same row under timings table. CAS RAS# RAS# tRAS.

Usually bios settings are in a column format and first primary memory timings mentioned above are usually the first four fields.

11 Cas
13 Ras
13 Ras
31 tRAS

Sometimes tRAS can be the first field. Anyway you'll figure it out, the bios will have those memory timing abbreviations.

Try manually 1866 or 2000 with those timings.