Ram Bios Beep

Jan 5, 2019
First off hello. I have sorted through the forums and still have not read or found a fix and I am praying someone can help me out.

While I am not a complete novice I seemed to have been focusing on software more than hardware because I am stumped.

I am running a HP Omen 880-010 with 8 gigs of ram. I received another stick for Christmas of 8 gigs. Everything appeared good with make and model. The original is a 8 gig stick of Kingston.

Upon re boot I got the 3 - 2 bios beep however the computer booted up fine. Check the ram and it shows 16 gigs but only 8 usable. In my mind that told me the computer recognized it but something is not jiving and it won’t utilize it. I shut down and move the ram around a bit to see if other slots will work and they did not. So I removed the old ram from the first slot and installed the new ram in the first slot. No luck. At this point I tried putting the old ram back in and now that will not even work. I am now getting the 3-2 beep and it won’t even boot up.

Thinking I may have somehow physically done something to the ram I ordered a 4 gig of crucial to see if i could get it to boot with that. No luck. I am lost. I don’t know if something got messed up when I put the new ram in the old rams slot or what.

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the stickered information of both sticks of ram? If you're unsure of what to post, a picture of the stickered side for each stick of ram would help us two fold. Please make mention of which stick came with the prebuilt and which sticks were added later on.

That being said, you can revert to using the stick of ram that came with the system in the slot that it was populating from day one. Then you can try and remove the CMOS battery and replace it after 15 mins. See if you can boot to BIOS > OS GUI.

FYI, you might've read this by now but if you haven't, mixing and matching rams only lead to troubleshooting akin to what you've described. It's for this reason that you work with ram kits and not just off the shelf sticks of ram, unless you can find the exact same stick of ram as the original. If they are exactly identical, then you were needing a BIOS update for the platform.

Jan 5, 2019