Ram causing bad frame tims?

Aug 28, 2018
I have an i5 8400 with 1 stick of 8gb ram ddr4 and i am noticing stutter in games like cod ww2 and ac origins so i tested with msi afterburner and noticed that the frame time is pretty bad and unconsistent, what could be the cause for the stutter??

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What graphics card are you running?

Will want another 8GB ram for 16GB and dual channel performance with a GPU having 4GB vram or more. Your os already uses 2GB ram, the remaining 6GB isn't enough to keep vram and cpu data flowing in memory so pagefile activity increases.

Aug 28, 2018

i have a 6gb 1060, Does low ram affect frame time and make games stutter

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Details mainly, lower vram acceptable levels so graphics doesn't looks so bad. Vram data does swap through system ram so it can consume much of your ram since os takes 2gb for itself.

Quote from myself helping a previous poster. Part of it is related but hoping you'll take something from it.

Most games to this day require a decent cpu to feed the gpu and also adequate ram capacity is also required to buffer vram + other game related data.

Nowadays people are heeding 144Hz monitors. With graphics cards today, a cpu needs to keep up otherwise it'll just run into high usages. 2nd gen i7's are outpacing modern i5 4c 4t cpus because of Hyperthreading and this is in both 1080p and 1440p at high frame rates of and around ~100fps. 60Hz/60fps the bottleneck isn't so bad.

System ram is another matter. 8GB ram was plenty back in the day when we only had 2GB vram cards. Now we have 6GB+ cards. On top of that, games are increasingly getting bigger and denser in quality, 8GB ram is just not enough. The OS consumes 2GB, that leaves 6GB ram for vram buffer and game data, it's not enough so pagefile gets used and it can get to whopping sizes of 10GB or more. 16GB ram is preferred now.

source: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3786404/8600k-support-quad-channel-memory-asrock-z370sli.html

Aug 28, 2018

Do i need to lower graphics settings in general or just CPU intensive ones? also i am just wondering if getting 16 gigs will solve all the stuttering problems or is my 1060 not strong enough, since i am worried it's my gpu that's bottlenecking the system because games reach like 5-6gb ram only one reaching 7.8 gigs being COD WW2

Aug 28, 2018

After some tests with a couple of games I figured that pagefile usage is 11GB minimum and maxes out at 15.8GB So i guess that's bad? and also frame time spikes up every now and then thus minor stuttering shows in game, What i am trying to figure out is the problem is from the RAM, Not the CPU,Not the GPU, Just the ram, I am fine with lowering some settings i just don't want the problem to be something that has to do with anything else but the ram. Also thanks for being kind and answering my questioins.