GeorgeStorm

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hello,
I am looking for some RAM that would be suitable for systems costing in the £600-£800 mark.
The systems will include either e8400's or Q6600's, along with a 8800GT, or GT.
I am asking for brands etc, which are good performance, without costing the earth.

Thanks

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Get a nice CL4 set of DDR2-800 (1066 is unneeded)

If looking for a 2 gig set, I highly recommend Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. It overclocks and performs very well

wise_stoner

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
any CL4 or CL5 ddr2-800 2gig name brand like Corsair, crucial , ocz , g.skill ,mushkin etc. would be good , personally i prefer crucial but i used both ocz and corsair and non of them gave me any trouble

GeorgeStorm

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hi, Thanks, I have been looking at OCZ and Corsair, I was wondering, im not very knowledgable on RAM, foe example, the OCZ platinum PC-6400 needs to be overvolted to 2.1V to run at the settings it speicifes, would this affect the lifetime of the RAM at all?
I am interested as I am setting up a business, and would like to know some brands that would always be rliable but also deliver good performance....

Thanks

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
If your looking for reliability as you should be with setting up a business go with Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800. Also what OS will you be using to see if you want 2gb, 4gb or even 8gb of total memory...

GeorgeStorm

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hi, Thanks, I was looking at Crucial, but very few places stock them, and at the moment I cannot afford to buy in builk, as I am only just setting up the business, and at the moment I am just building computers for people I know, who know me....
And I am going to offer 32 and 64bit Vista, and maybe XP, as many people prefer it, I will offer 2gb and 4gb, and am not sure about 8gb yet.
By the way, does anyone know any of the how OCZ modules are resistant to voltage icnrease? And overclocking?

Thanks

GeorgeStorm

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
So no one has any expieriance with OCZ RAM for stability and overclocking?
Also, slightly off topic, but how much better are modular PSU's than non modular, and are they worth the extera moeny?Also does anyone know of any good energy efficient modular PSU's? thanks....

Thanks

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
For memory, I have used Wintec AMPO memory a few times, seems ok, but it's cheap. You take a chance, try and see what works, remember that can you can rma things, just read up on each company's policies that you intend to buy from. Also, if I were you, as I considered doing this myself for a while, I think I would require a non refundable down payment of some kind, that way if someone decides they don't want a system after they order it and you put your money out to order parts and all, you are not just stuck with parts and losing money on the deal. That's just me though....

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
If the ram is specified at running at a dedicated voltage, then it will run at that voltage with no damage. If there is a problem then its not the voltages fault...

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I have 4GB of OCZ Titanium. Its very nice RAM. It overclocks well and does 800Mhz at 1.8v, so no, overvolting is not required. If you want to run tighter timings or higher clocks, then higher volts are obviously needed.