RAM Compatability with Motherboard

sonorityscape

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
So I recently began putting my build together, however my monitor was not receiving any signal and therefore no post/I could not access the BIOS.

I went through the comprehensive list on this forum and it seems that everything had some sort of effect (as in it works) other than my RAM. I attempted many different slot combinations but nothing worked.

After talking with someone from ASUS they were pointing to the fact that my RAM is not on the list of compatible RAM with my motherboard and that that may be the issue.

For reference, my MB is an ASUS Prime Z270-K and my RAM is G.SKILL Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4. I'm just realizing that the chipset is for the Intel Z170 Platform. Would this be my blunder and new RAM is probably the solution?

Solution
It should not matter. It is listed on QVL of Z170-K, and Z270-K is close enough to assume it should work too. Check your CPU socket for bent pins. Also I assume you tried using just one stick, if not do that.

sonorityscape

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017

When I unplug the CPU from the motherboard, the fan starts and the shuts off quickly. Perhaps that would be an indication that the CPU works. With the CPU plugged in, the fans and cooler run always. I also did not see any bent pins when I checked

I've tried both ram sticks as a single sticks in all slots.

The RAM is not listed on the Z270-K QVL, but I don't if that makes a difference.

SWKerr

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
All DDR4 should work but some kits do not overclock to the specified speed on all Ryzen motherboards. I had an issue with my Ryzen 1600 build and it turned out to be one of the memory modules was bad. Just pulled the bad one and it worked. I would doubt both would be bad but it is possible.

Most motherboards now have LEDs that flash that give some info on what failed the pre-check.

sonorityscape

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017

In this instance, when I power everything up, my MB lights flash slowing (like a fade-in, fade-out) .

sonorityscape

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
As an update, I bought an internal speaker to connect to the pins on the MB and it beeped one long followed by two short and then a short pause which means my RAM is not being recognized. I also tried out a different stick of RAM in my board with no effect. Could this mean that the RAM modules in my MB are defective or have the 3 sticks of RAM I've tried in all the slots been bad?

sonorityscape

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017

I'm pretty close to 100%. They are going down until they click in. I even tried a little more force after that, but I don't think it's a good idea. I will talk to ASUS again with my new info and then probably send the board back.