[SOLVED] RAM Decision

Jan 8, 2021
So before I make a dumb decision I thought I would see how dumb it is on the forum lol

I am deciding between these two kits both are 3600 CL 16 one is 32gb and one is 64gb, the 32gb kit is currently $259 and the 64gb kit is currently $359 so for $100 I double the memory.

Now this will be paired with the x570 MSI Tomahawk and the Ryzen 9 5900x and paired with either a 3080 or 6800xt, primarily I will be gaming on this rig, but I do use two monitors, and while gaming I do like to watch videos at the same time sometimes just YouTube and Twitch, but sometimes I am streaming 4k movies off my plex server. I do some rendering but not much. I do not plan on not upgrading this rig for at least 5 to 6 years and even if I do upgrade anything it will be the video card or RAM.

The 32gb kit contains much tighter timings of 16-16-16-36 while the 64gb kit has looser timings of 16-22-22-42, based on the model numbers both are running Samsung B-DIE as I am sure that explains the tight timings on the 32gb kit.

So, I guess my question is should I spend the $100 now and go 64gb or just stick with the tighter timings on the 32gb kit and worry about upgrading to higher at a later date?

Solution
So before I make a dumb decision I thought I would see how dumb it is on the forum lol

I am deciding between these two kits both are 3600 CL 16 one is 32gb and one is 64gb, the 32gb kit is currently $259 and the 64gb kit is currently $359 so for $100 I double the memory.

Now this will be paired with the x570 MSI Tomahawk and the Ryzen 9 5900x and paired with either a 3080 or 6800xt, primarily I will be gaming on this rig, but I do use two monitors, and while gaming I do like to watch videos at the same time sometimes just YouTube and Twitch, but sometimes I am streaming 4k movies off my plex server. I do some rendering but not much. I do not plan on not upgrading this rig for at least 5 to 6 years and even if I do upgrade...

Now this will be paired with the x570 MSI Tomahawk and the Ryzen 9 5900x and paired with either a 3080 or 6800xt, primarily I will be gaming on this rig, but I do use two monitors, and while gaming I do like to watch videos at the same time sometimes just YouTube and Twitch, but sometimes I am streaming 4k movies off my plex server. I do some rendering but not much. I do not plan on not upgrading this rig for at least 5 to 6 years and even if I do upgrade anything it will be the video card or RAM.

The 32gb kit contains much tighter timings of 16-16-16-36 while the 64gb kit has looser timings of 16-22-22-42, based on the model numbers both are running Samsung B-DIE as I am sure that explains the tight timings on the 32gb kit.

So, I guess my question is should I spend the $100 now and go 64gb or just stick with the tighter timings on the 32gb kit and worry about upgrading to higher at a later date?

It's a tricky question to answer - I am surprised that the larger kit is working out better value (often it costs comparatively more for a larger kit) - if anything sounds like the 32 gb kit has gone up in price whilst the 64gb is priced normally. As things stand, 32gb is more than enough memory for any current games that I am aware of (honestly 16gb is fine) - so right now it would only help if you had a lot of stuff running at the same time (e.g. streaming). That said a couple of chrome tabs, a music player and dischord for example aren't an issue even on 16gb in my experience.

The other thing to check is the memory QVL testing for that cpu / mobo combo as Ryzen can be fussy with higher numbers of memory modules, so if that 64gb kit is 4 x 16, it may not support the full 3600 speed, whereas assuming the 32gb kit is 2 x 16 that should be fine. The looser secondary timings will impact performance slightly but honestly unless you are after low resolution, super high fps (i.e. 1080p 240hz or more) then you aren't going to notice it imo. On the basis that the memory will work at the rated speed, the main advantage to going 64gb is the fact it might be useful in the future - a setup like this should last a good few years unless something really radical happens so for $100 might be worth it, it's difficult to know if it will be useful within the lifespan of the machine though.

Solution
Jan 8, 2021
I actually found two different 64gb kits one g.skill and the other crucial both for $359 and the crucial actually has better timings of 16-18-18-38. I believe Crucial makes their own Micron B-DIE which I believe is a hair better for overclocking and the Samsung B-DIE is better if you want to get tighter timings.

That is my sticking point its tough because yes based on what I do now 32gb is probably more than enough, but at only $100 more the 64gb kit works out to be the better value. If I plan on keeping this system for say 5 to 6 years then the value of the 64gb kit increases due to having longevity. Both kits are only 2 DIMMS and should run fine on the MB. I have noticed the same I can get a less timed 32gb kit for $204 and if I get rid of the RGB it can go down to $189, but the 64gb kit still feels like the better value at this moment in time. It is just hard to say I will be doing X in 3 years or in 2 years 64gb will be the norm and I am ahead of the curve at a good value.

I believe at 3600 everything has been performing just fine 99% of the time based on what I have read and been advised on this forum. It isn't until you hit 3800 to 4000+ that it starts getting fussy and you have to play with it.

Reactions: cdrkf