[SOLVED] RAM does not "click" in/black screen

Mar 31, 2020
Hi, my question is similar to that in this thread: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/no-click-during-installation.3542432/

Only difference is mine doesn't work.

I currently have a Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM. I've purchased 2x8GB G.skill DDR3 RAM 2133 mhz. My motherboard is ASUS m5A97 R2.0 and should support this RAM.
My current RAM "clicks" in nicely and has no issues whatsoever. However, when I try to insert the new RAM into the RAM slots it doesn't click in. I can push it in and move the clips so it's effectively clipped in but doesn't actually give the click sound. It is firmly in place when this is done so i think likely is correct. When I then try to start my PC up the screen never loads and remains black.

If i reinsert my old RAM this works without issue and my PC loads up without problem.
I've also checked my BIOS and this is set to AUTO on memory speed so do not think the upgrade in speed is a cause.

I am unsure if the RAM not "clicking" into place is the issue or if I have some incorrect settings causing the blackscreen so the RAM doesn't load.

Any suggestions will be most useful.

Solution
Thank goodness you got it back up and running!

I went through the various QVLs (original and updated) for your motherboard and didn't find
Gskill F3-2133C10D-16GXM

Where did you see it was supported?
Mar 31, 2020
It could be that the RAM is inserted OK, but you need to update the BIOS? Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?
I do not know. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to hardware. I can see my BIOS version/date is American Megatrends Inc. 2006 01/10/2013

I'd say this means probably not :)

Edit: found the latest version but is a .cap file so having to install a program to read .cap files will revert back once done

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020
I don't have a userguide (or I lost it). I followed youtube anyway :) BIOS is now on version 2603 which is latest for my MOBO. Will try the new RAM again.

Mar 31, 2020
Just noticed after putting my old RAM back into my PC it now says in the Task Manager i have committed 6.6/15.9GB of RAM.

This indicates the two RAM modules have been picked up but just my monitors do not load. FYI this is being displayed after I put my 2x4GB RAM back into the MOBO.

Any suggestions?

Just noticed after putting my old RAM back into my PC it now says in the Task Manager i have committed 6.6/15.9GB of RAM.

This indicates the two RAM modules have been picked up but just my monitors do not load. FYI this is being displayed after I put my 2x4GB RAM back into the MOBO.

Any suggestions?
I'm confused. Your old RAM was 2 sticks of 4gb each. Your new RAM is 2 sticks of 8 each. I thought you were replacing the old RAM with the new RAM, is this true? Or are you trying to ADD the new RAM to your PC, which would give 4 sticks inserted, 24 Gb in total?

Link to you Motherboard's Support

Mar 31, 2020
Yes im trying to replace it ie 16 in total. But after i take the 16 out to go back to 8 so my PC works again my task manager says 16gb of RAM in the info but in useage only shows up to 8

Mar 31, 2020
Should it really be this hard to just change some RAM?

I will also give this is a try tomorrow after i finish work i need my PC up and running and my CMOS battery is under the GPU.

Mar 31, 2020
I
No it's not normally this hard to change out RAM.

Page 1-19 in:

Motherboard User's Manual

explains how to clear the CMOS without removing the battery.

But, maybe before you clear the CMOS, boot into BIOS and see what it shows as your memory. If the BIOS accurately reflects the memory that is installed, then I probably isn't necessary to clear the CMOS, and could be a Windows 10 issue.

I've done a CMOS reset and now my PC is permanent stuck on the black screen..

EDIT: got it back up and running. the new RAM still does not work.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020
Thank goodness you got it back up and running!

I went through the various QVLs (original and updated) for your motherboard and didn't find
Gskill F3-2133C10D-16GXM

Where did you see it was supported?
Yes I had mild heart attack 😂. I reset CMOS again and it started to run.

I was using a part builder website where it said there were compatible. So not on an official website (probably the reason why)

EDIT: link to website i was using ihttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020
Just to give you an update, my new RAM turned up today and it upgrade successfully.
It slotted in perfectly and clicked and PC booted up 1st time = Heaven.

Just wanted to say thank you for all your assistance it was much appreciated.

Apr 8, 2020

Hi,
in task manager where it shows committed - this includes your page file. so if you have 4GB of ram and a 20GB page file it will show 24GB in total. on the top right it will show your actual ram amount.

But I'm glad you got it working. wish i could add 2x8GB in my PC right now.

Reactions: PGD5