Question RAM Error with Ryzen 5700G ?

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
Putting together a system for my brother. CPU or rather APU is a Ryzen 7 5700G, MB is a MSI B550M Pro VDH wifi, RAM is oLy Blade 16GB DDR4 3600. Flashed to latest BIOS version using the USB/no processor/rear button method. System will not boot with sticks in regular positions of A2, B2 RAM slots. Either stick by itself in A2 will boot. Either stick in A1 will boot but with message of being in wrong location. Both sticks will boot in A1, A2 but with message of being in wrong configuration for best performance. Tried with other RAM, Corsair, G.Skill, other oLy kits but with identical results. When using the A2/B2 location the beep code is three short = RAM error. When using the A1/B1 location the beep code is a single long beep and then 3 short beeps, followed by a reboot cycle and then three beeps and so on. The single long beep is only when powering up for the first time. Debug lights are always RAM error except when RAM is in A2 only or A1, A2.

One thing of note is that in the BIOS, the menus are shown as a mix of English and Asian characters. If I select a different language the result is still a mix of characters.

I suspect the MB is damaged in some way but since the memory controller is on the Ryzen chip itself, the processor could also be a problem. This is the first time I've tried a Ryzen APU instead of a CPU. Has anyone else experienced this issue ?

Solution
I put the MSI board away as broken. Replaced with Gigabyte B550M DS3H and Ryzen 5 5600 Shell Shocker combo. Since not an APU added a spare RX-580 GPU (he doesn't game except solitaire and mahjongg). Works with the same ram that was giving the MSI board fits. I'll put the 5700G in a different computer.

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
I put the MSI board away as broken. Replaced with Gigabyte B550M DS3H and Ryzen 5 5600 Shell Shocker combo. Since not an APU added a spare RX-580 GPU (he doesn't game except solitaire and mahjongg). Works with the same ram that was giving the MSI board fits. I'll put the 5700G in a different computer.

Solution