Aug 4, 2022
So, yesterday i installed i new gpu (gtx 1660 ti) into my old pc until i wait for rest of the pc to come. Old pc specs (fx 6300, 8gb ram ddr3).
Everything worked normal, i played some games, tested the gpu. The next morning (today) pc wont boot, wont show post screen. I assumed that gpu is the problem. Changed to my old gpu, same result. I checked everything, cleaned it, reseat the cables. Turns out ram is the problem. Changed ram from my gf pc, and it boots to mb logo and bios. My question is, how can ram fail like that? Because everything worked normal yesterday. Is it ram or it can be something else?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need the full specs to your build inclusive of the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Since you performed an upgrade, please mention the part prior to the replacement.

As for your question about failure, there are other instances whereby parts died after a minor change in a build, either due to a bad PSU or due to a static build up. There are also instances whereby the ram sticks were already on their way out and they needed that gentle push tog et across. You try using an eraser on the gold contacts for the ram to remove any carbon build up?

Aug 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need the full specs to your build inclusive of the make and model of the PSU and it's age. Since you performed an upgrade, please mention the part prior to the replacement.

As for your question about failure, there are other instances whereby parts died after a minor change in a build, either due to a bad PSU or due to a static build up. There are also instances whereby the ram sticks were already on their way out and they needed that gentle push tog et across. You try using an eraser on the gold contacts for the ram to remove any carbon build up?

Pc specs:
PSU: LC Power 600w (about 6 years old)
Never had any problems with it.

LC600H-12 V2.31

www.lc-power.com

CPU: AMD Fx 6300
Old GPU: GTX 750 ti
New GPU: GTX 1660 ti
MB: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
RAM: Crucial 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

Yeah, ive tried everything, cleaned it with eraser and with alchohol, also tried that stick on my gf's pc, same results.
Im confused since it worked well, no crashes, no bsods, nothing. And in the morning when i turned on my pc, it wont post. No beeps either on my mb. However with different stick it works normally. So i know its not motherboard.

Thanks for reply.

Lutfij

Titan
So i know its not motherboard.
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? It could also be a corrupt BIOS.

The GTX750Ti has a lower PSU requirement when compared to the GTX1660Ti, that's another thing. I say this because your PSU is 6 years old. It might not have caused an issue before but PSU's can and will age/degrade over time much like a person's agility decreases when they age.

Aug 4, 2022
So i know its not motherboard.
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time? It could also be a corrupt BIOS.

The GTX750Ti has a lower PSU requirement when compared to the GTX1660Ti, that's another thing. I say this because your PSU is 6 years old. It might not have caused an issue before but PSU's can and will age/degrade over time much like a person's agility decreases when they age.

Yeah thats true. I think of that also.

Do you think PSU failed with power delivery, and somehow burned my RAM?
Because PC was working, i played games (apex legends) for 2 hours maybe. Restarted my pc 2-3 times because of the new drivers for the GTX1660ti. Im also confused cause it happened when PC was off. So no power.
What is your suggestion, to get a new PSU?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Using your known working stick of ram, get into BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time. Can you take the rams to another donor system?

Im also confused cause it happened when PC was off. So no power.
Please elaborate.

Aug 4, 2022
Using your known working stick of ram, get into BIOS and see what BIOS version you're on at this moment of time. Can you take the rams to another donor system?

Im also confused cause it happened when PC was off. So no power.
Please elaborate.

Yeah i tested the ram in my gf's pc and i got same results. No post screen.

I meant, everything worked normally the night before, and then i turned off my PC. The next morning RAM has failed. So that must have happaned when the PC was off?

Lutfij

Titan
You don't get any lightning strikes in your area, do you? When you shut your system down, do you turn off the wall socket as well? Something of this nature happened with a motherboard and a ram kit on two different occasions. Turned out to be, client had a room with no grounding, didn't turn off from the mains and had a lightning storm. Yeah bad stuff happens.

Aug 4, 2022
You don't get any lightning strikes in your area, do you? When you shut your system down, do you turn off the wall socket as well? Something of this nature happened with a motherboard and a ram kit on two different occasions. Turned out to be, client had a room with no grounding, didn't turn off from the mains and had a lightning storm. Yeah bad stuff happens.

No lightning strikes. No i dont turn off the wall socket. Maybe its a bad timing for ram. Maybe a psu.

TRENDING THREADS