Question ram for 12900k

omada

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
hi there, I am builing new rig which I am quite exited, I picked pretty much every component except RAM, there is so many choices, can you help me out?

thats my build :

Intel Core i9-12900K 3.20GHz (Alder Lake) Socket LGA1700 Processor - Retail
Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WIFI D4 - Intel Z690 LGA 1700 DDR4 ATX
Asus GeForce RTX 3080 Ti ROG Strix OC 12GB GDDR6X PCI-Express Graphics Card
ASUS ROG Strix Helios "White Edition" Midi-Tower ARGB Gaming Case - White Tempered Glass
ASUS ROG THOR 1000W Platinum II Modular Power Supply
ASUS ROG Ryujin II 360 Performance AIO CPU Liquid Cooler with OLED Display - 360mm
&
Lian Li Strimer Plus V2 Triple 8-pin ARGB GPU Extension Cable
Lian Li Strimer Plus V2 24-Pin ARGB Motherboard Extension Cable
are they safe? good? good power delivery? any risk using them over regular cables?

and RAM :
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 Memory Dual Kit

are they good enough? this one are CL 18 but I read that CL 16 exist as well, and AMD ryzen tuned is a thing? can I get regular one since I have intel? or it's a marketing

since my whole build is pretty much white so I tho I will go for something "white" so how about

Corsair Dominator Platinum White
G.Skill Trident Z Royal Elite

also my mobo is dual channel so I need to go dual 2x16 or I should go for quad 4x8?
what do you guys think? or should I go for DDR5

and last question, 1000W would be enough for 4080/4090 in the future?
and about GPU, would you use 3x8 pin cables or 2x8 +1 is enough?
thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Safe: yes.
Risk..? Ehh, I'm not sure risk is the right word to use here, as there's no danger. The extra length creates more electrical resistance, causing greater voltage droop. If the system shuts off on you due to the +12v rail voltage drooping too low, stop using them.

"and about GPU, would you use 3x8 pin cables or 2x8 +1 is enough?"
Some folks have had mixed results when using pigtails with Ampere. Best to stick to separate cables.

omada

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Safe: yes.
Risk..? Ehh, I'm not sure risk is the right word to use here, as there's no danger. The extra length creates more electrical resistance, causing greater voltage droop. If the system shuts off on you due to the +12v rail voltage drooping too low, stop using them.

"and about GPU, would you use 3x8 pin cables or 2x8 +1 is enough?"
Some folks have had mixed results when using pigtails with Ampere. Best to stick to separate cables.

thx and what about RAM?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
thx and what about RAM?
Sorry, I don't know. I responded to the ones I was capable of.

Intel cpus weren't too picky about ram for some time... maybe that changed with Alder Lake...
There's some AIDA, Corona, Adobe, and a few game benchmarks in there. Unfortunately, Steve doesn't specify if the ram is single or dual rank(rank and channel are not the same).
Looks hit and miss to me.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know if you already bought it, but looked but this ram is DDR5 where the motherboard you chose used DDR4 so that white ram cannot work with the motherboard chosen.

This should work since DDR4 , is fine, 3200mhz cas16 is fine. Anything white and really nice specs takes the price higher in a way that i couldn't support, there is this for not too much more,
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-gb-ddr4-3600-cl18-memory-cmh32gx4m2d3600c18w
maybe this silver ram looks nice? but already alot of money although speed is 4266mhz,
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...6-gb-ddr4-4266-cl19-memory-f4-4266c19d-32gtrs
looked at that motherboard again with it's silver accents, might just look good.