[SOLVED] RAM Forcing Safe Mode when applying XMP

May 24, 2020
I just got my hands on some 3200MHz CL16 G.Skill Trident Z Rgb and when I try to apply XMP Profile to it in BIOS it boots in safe mode. Computer boots fine when XMP is disabled and RAM is running at 2133MHz. I know my BIOS is not up to date but any suggestions to get it to work at rated speed? I also tried to bring it down to 3000MHz but still did not work.

To add: got BSOD memory management error on 2 other attempts to boot at 3200MHz

Specs:
Cpu: i5-8400
MOBO: asus prime z370-a 2
Gpu: gigabyte 1060 6gb
PSU: Evga 80+ bronze 600B
Cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212

Last edited:
Solution
Between the stock speeds of the memory controller on the cpu, the added voltage necessary for the RGB and the higher speed ram it looks like you are getting ram instability.

I'd suggest you manually add to the dram voltage, if it's 1.35v at xmp settings, bump it to 1.355v or 1.36v. If that doesn't work and you end up at 1.4v, back the voltage back to 1.355v and add 0.05v to VCCIO and VCCSA which boosts memory controller voltages.

If you look at the motherboard stats, it lists 3200MHz as (OC). Normally this is associated as an overclock on the ram speeds from the default 2133MHz, but can also mean the cpu requires an overclock too to handle the higher speed demands.
May 24, 2020

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Between the stock speeds of the memory controller on the cpu, the added voltage necessary for the RGB and the higher speed ram it looks like you are getting ram instability.

I'd suggest you manually add to the dram voltage, if it's 1.35v at xmp settings, bump it to 1.355v or 1.36v. If that doesn't work and you end up at 1.4v, back the voltage back to 1.355v and add 0.05v to VCCIO and VCCSA which boosts memory controller voltages.

If you look at the motherboard stats, it lists 3200MHz as (OC). Normally this is associated as an overclock on the ram speeds from the default 2133MHz, but can also mean the cpu requires an overclock too to handle the higher speed demands.

Reactions: Dmorand and Mooons
Solution
May 24, 2020

Thanks for the reply, I will test this out later today after work and get back to you on the results. I was unsure of what to bump the VCCIO and VCCSA to so that is very helpful!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most say that max value for vccio/vccsa should not exceed 1.25v. Stock value is 0.9v. So bumps are tiny! 0.91 etc.

Even with a weak controller you should be able to get stable with 1.10-1.14 ish.

It's quite common when using high speed or high density ram. When you overclock a cpu, the controller gets bumped too, hand in hand operation, but with you using that ram on a slower stock speed cpu, it's like the controller doesn't have the 'umph' to get the ball rolling, so you supply a little added push.

Reactions: Dmorand
May 24, 2020
Most say that max value for vccio/vccsa should not exceed 1.25v. Stock value is 0.9v. So bumps are tiny! 0.91 etc.

Even with a weak controller you should be able to get stable with 1.10-1.14 ish.

It's quite common when using high speed or high density ram. When you overclock a cpu, the controller gets bumped too, hand in hand operation, but with you using that ram on a slower stock speed cpu, it's like the controller doesn't have the 'umph' to get the ball rolling, so you supply a little added push.
I am going to try this out now, do you suggest I just put the to VCC voltages around the 1.1V level and see what happens?