Ram Frequency with XMP

Gennaios

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
hello so i figured through Cpu z that the Ram Frequency was running at 667MHz(Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz) so I used XMP while it was running 1337mhz and changed to 1600mhz that was supposed to be working.. but still in cpuz it's 667mhz..is that like idle frequencys or there is something wrong? thnx in advance

667 times 2 (DDR means Double data rate) is approximately 1333mhz. That is the speed your memory is actually running at. What is the exact model number of your motherboard and the exact model number or numbers of your memory modules?

What CPU is installed?

What CPU are you using? Does your board have the very latest bios version installed? If it does not, then you need to install it. I'd bet that your board did not originally support 1600mhz or had compatibility issues with some modules at release so updating the bios is probably the first thing I'd do.

That may the case. The most recent DDR3 RAM operating frequency was more or less standardized at 1600 MHz, but prior to that it was 1333 MHz. The 1866, 2133 and 2400 MHz DDR3 RAM were overclocks based on the 1600 MHz RAM. Until you applied the XMP for that RAM you were running at 1600 MHz.

Yeah, that board shows that it supports 1600mhz without an OC, but it probably did not when it was first released because I doubt 1600mhz memory was even very much in the mainstream at the release of that chipset. Possibly, but 1333mhz being the max at release or in early bios versions is more likely.