RAM in different dimm slots has different results (BSOD, blank screen, bios backup, etct)

May 14, 2018
My hardware is as follows:
mobo ga-970a-ud3
cpu FX-8120
4 G.Skill Sniper RAM 4gb each stick
gpu Radeon 7970

Here is some background on my recent hardware changes and troubleshooting.
This setup has been the same for about 5 years with no problems. I use my PC for Simracing mostly and recently I had some issues when racing in Rfactor 2 my PC would reboot. My guess was the CPU was getting too hot because the stock fan was getting extremely loud. The GPU would get to about 70c but I don't know how hot the CPU was getting because I didn't have an onscreen display for the CPU at the time.

After this happened I decided to get a Corsair H55 liquid cooler for the cpu. I installed that on May 4th and all seemed great. My CPU was running much cooler and I didn't have any issues with anything. I went to bed May 8th and put my PC to sleep. The next morning I went to wake up my PC but it was powered off. When I tried to boot it up it posted and I saw the windows logo for about 2-3 seconds and then it powered off again.

I was unable to get it to boot into windows and would get different messages like "Backing up bios" "he file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum. " So this mobo was on bios version F4 so I used q flash to upgrade it to F5. Errors still persisted.
I then removed all but 1 stick of ram and was able to boot into windows. This was with 1 stick in the dimm slot DDR3_4 (i thought this was the first one). I would power down and replace the ram and did this for all 4 sticks and all 4 sticks would allow it to boot into windows. I then put 2 sticks of ram in DDR3_4 and DDR3_2 which would be the dimm slots closest to the CPU (again i thought these would be slot 1 and 2) The pc would boot into windows so I then added the remaining 2 sticks of ram and this is where it gets weird.

Moving the 4 sticks or ram to different slots the bios will show 16gb but won't boot into windows. Another configuration of the ram and the bios shows 12gb or ram, boots into windows and windows shows 14gb of ram 12gb usable. Another configuration of the ram and the pc will post but I am stuck at a black screen with a blinking cursor.

I have run memtest86 on each stick of ram indvidually for 1 pass each and no errors but this was with the stick of ram in the dimm slot DDR3_4. I have not inserted a stick into dimm slot DDR3_1 and run memtest86 yet.

I have removed 2 sticks of ram and now just have 2 in dimm slot DDR3_4 and DDR3_2 and I can boot into windows with 8gb of ram.

Has anyone ever encountered anything like this and is the issue with the ram or the dimm slots on the mobo? Also after installing the Corsair H55 my pc ran fine for 4 days and that includes working from home on it for 8 hours and then 2 hours of racing. The next morning was when it would not boot.