[SOLVED] RAM Instalation problem

Dec 11, 2020
Hello,

I have a problem with my PC.
I recently purchased 2x4GB RAM (1Rx4-PC3L-10600R [1333MHz]) to do a RAM update. In my computer I have 2x2GB RAM (2xR4-PC3-10700 [1333MHz]). In the motherboard I have 4 slots for RAM, 2 of them being occupied by the '2x2GB RAM' (being the first 2 slots, black), and the other 2 slots (3.4) which are blue, and I wanted to put the others two pieces of RAM,
2x4GB to have a total of 12GB RAM.

The problems are as follows:
  • When I put the 2 pieces I bought, next to the others that were already in the motherboard, when I turn on the PC the computer starts a continuous beep, and does not stop until I turn it off.
  • When I remove the old RAM parts (2x2GB) and leave only the new ones, turning on the PC does not take out any beep (although it had to give a beep as every time I turn on the PC), the monitor does not turn on, but the fans from the processor and from the power supply works. But it doesn't booting up.
  • When I put back the RAM I had before, the PC starts without problems.

The PC has the following components:
  • The motherboard is 'Acer RS880M05'
  • The chipset is 'AMD 880G'
  • The video card is 'ATI Radeon HD 4250'
  • The processor is' AMD ATHLON II x2 255 [3.10GHz]
  • The disk drive is 'WDC WD1600AAJS-22L7A0'
It's old enough.

Can you help me, please?

Solution
If the mobo is an Acer xxxxx is an OEM machine.

Ah, I misunderstood then. I thought BOTH kits of RAM worked when installed individually.

Then there's clearly something wrong with the DDR3L RAM you're trying to add. I typically ignore QVL's (qualified vendor list) for RAM, even on OEM machines, but OEM machines are going to give the greatest potential for not playing nice with RAM that's not on the QVL for that machine.

I'd say the next step is to check for a BIOS update for your machine (motherboard). Oftentimes BIOS updates will add RAM compatibility. If that doesn't work, return the DDR3L you bought and get regular DDR3.
So this is an Acer OEM/pre-built?

Do you get to a DOS-like screen while it's beeping that says something like "Press ___ to enter setup"?

My initial guess is that the mobo might only be able to take a max of 8GB of RAM?

PC3L means DDR3L (lower voltage = 1.35V instead of DDR3 @ 1.5V) That shouldn't be an issue since the board supports the higher voltage (it should only be a problem for board that support DDR3L primarily, since they don't support the higher voltage DDR3), but perhaps the OEM nature is causing issues from that.... since both kits work by themselves, maybe the board isn't able to select the proper settings when both are combined?

Reactions: -victor
Dec 11, 2020
Hello, thank you for the reply!

I don't know if it is OEM or pre-built..

I don't get any DOS-like screens. When RAM sticks are combined, the pc sends me a continuous beep when I turn it on, and it doesn't stop until I turn off the pc completely [probably that beep means a boot error ...], and the monitor does not light up.
When I connect only the two RAM sticks [the ones I bought recently], the pc doesn't send me any beeps, the monitor stays off.
When I put back the old RAM sticks, the PC boots without problems.

From what I read about this motherboard, I know it accepts a maximum of 16GB of RAM [that would mean 4GB of RAM per port], but I want to have a total of 12GB of RAM [with the RAMs I already have on my PC and those which I recently bought], or at least 8GB if you can't do it all at once.

I don't understand what the problem would be, I probably need to do something to the BIOS, or I don't know.

Ah, I misunderstood then. I thought BOTH kits of RAM worked when installed individually.

Then there's clearly something wrong with the DDR3L RAM you're trying to add. I typically ignore QVL's (qualified vendor list) for RAM, even on OEM machines, but OEM machines are going to give the greatest potential for not playing nice with RAM that's not on the QVL for that machine.

I'd say the next step is to check for a BIOS update for your machine (motherboard). Oftentimes BIOS updates will add RAM compatibility. If that doesn't work, return the DDR3L you bought and get regular DDR3.

Reactions: -victor
Solution
Dec 11, 2020

Ok, so I'll have to check if I have any BIOS updates.
After updating the BIOS, I should try again to put the RAM?

Dec 11, 2020
You bought the wrong ram---PC3L-10600R is ecc registered ram typically for workstations and servers. Your existing ram is PC3-10600U, which is unbufferred non-ecc dimm (which the U is typically omitted).

Oh, so I can only use them on the workstation.
Thanks for the help, you can close the topic!