Question RAM issue

Dec 28, 2020
firstly i would like to say that i am not very good witch computers and apologise for any mistakes i make.

i recently made the upgrade from two sticks of 4gb RAM to two sticks of 8gb RAM,
link to RAM used: https://www.ebuyer.com/794997-corsa...md-ryzen-tuned-ddr4-memory-cmk16gx4m2z3200c16

whenever i boot up into windows i receive the error code 0xc0000428 and it will not allow me to boot into windows, not even in safe mode.

i have replaced the new RAM with the previous RAM and my computer is now fully operational, but i want to be able to use the new RAM.

please help

motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. A320M-S2H-CF

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Are you able to boot into the BIOS and verify that the RAM is recognized?
Have you tried booting with only one RAM module installed at a time?
Have you tried booting into a boot up disk like Ultimate Boot CD and running memory tests on the RAM?

If not, I'd run those diagnostics first and verify your RAM. If it checks out then you can try booting from a Windows install disk and repairing Windows to see if that solves the issue.

Dec 28, 2020
Are you able to boot into the BIOS and verify that the RAM is recognized?
Have you tried booting with only one RAM module installed at a time?
Have you tried booting into a boot up disk like Ultimate Boot CD and running memory tests on the RAM?

If not, I'd run those diagnostics first and verify your RAM. If it checks out then you can try booting from a Windows install disk and repairing Windows to see if that solves the issue.

i have booted into bios and my system says i have a little over 1600mb of RAM (cant remember the exact number)

i tried to boot with only one RAM module installed and my PC didnt load, it got stuck on the gigabyte screen.

i do not know how to boot up a disk like Ultimate Boot CD and i do not know how to run a memory test on the RAM.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
You can get into BIOS with the TWO new RAM modules installed but it only shows ~1600mb total?

Alternatively, the system won't POST properly with only ONE of the new RAM modules installed?

If so, I'd say you got some bad RAM modules. Return and get replacements.

Dec 28, 2020
You can get into BIOS with the TWO new RAM modules installed but it only shows ~1600mb total?

Alternatively, the system won't POST properly with only ONE of the new RAM modules installed?

If so, I'd say you got some bad RAM modules. Return and get replacements.
it says 1600mb total because i ordered two 8gb sticks of ram so isn't that correct?

is returning the RAM sticks my only option? are you sure they are faulty?

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
So this is going to get a bit technical but just want to clear up the notation so we are speaking the same thing.

First, when you said mb, I assumed you meant Mb = megaBITS. MB = megaBYTES. There are 8 BITS in a BYTE so you will want to keep an eye on what the computer is telling you so you can report it correctly.

Second, 1GB = 1 gigaBYTE = 1,000MB = 1,000 megaBYTES

So, your new sticks of RAM should be reporting 2 x 8GB = 16GB = 16,000MB not the 1,600mb that you posted above. 1,600MB doesn't make sense but it should be enough space that one stick alone can POST into BIOS which is why I assumed you meant 1,600Mb. I mean 1,600Mb doesn't really make sense either but is small enough that you might need the two sticks in order to have sufficient memory for the system to POST.

My assumption is that the RAM sticks are bad. Two of them together provides 1,600Mb of memory so that the system can POST and get into BIOS but not enough for Windows to run. One by itself cannot provide enough memory for the system to POST.

In either case, 1,600MB or 1,600Mb is NOT 16GB so you are definitely not getting the 16GB that you paid for.

You may want to double check yourself by re-installing the new RAM but 1,600Mb vs 1,600MB neither really makes sense and are drastically below what you paid for.

Dec 28, 2020
So this is going to get a bit technical but just want to clear up the notation so we are speaking the same thing.

First, when you said mb, I assumed you meant Mb = megaBITS. MB = megaBYTES. There are 8 BITS in a BYTE so you will want to keep an eye on what the computer is telling you so you can report it correctly.

Second, 1GB = 1 gigaBYTE = 1,000MB = 1,000 megaBYTES

So, your new sticks of RAM should be reporting 2 x 8GB = 16GB = 16,000MB not the 1,600mb that you posted above. 1,600MB doesn't make sense but it should be enough space that one stick alone can POST into BIOS which is why I assumed you meant 1,600Mb. I mean 1,600Mb doesn't really make sense either but is small enough that you might need the two sticks in order to have sufficient memory for the system to POST.

My assumption is that the RAM sticks are bad. Two of them together provides 1,600Mb of memory so that the system can POST and get into BIOS but not enough for Windows to run. One by itself cannot provide enough memory for the system to POST.

In either case, 1,600MB or 1,600Mb is NOT 16GB so you are definitely not getting the 16GB that you paid for.

You may want to double check yourself by re-installing the new RAM but 1,600Mb vs 1,600MB neither really makes sense and are drastically below what you paid for.

apologies for the typo, after double checking i can confirm that my bios is detecting exactly 16,384 megabytes of RAM on my system. this assures me that my RAM is not faulty and I apologize for any confusion I have caused. Do you have any advice on how I can move forward?

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Since your system is running now. if you follow the link I posted above, you can download the UltimateBootCD and then use rufus to build a bootable USB stick with the ISO image.

As well, download the Windows10 image and create another bootable USB stick with the Windows ISO image.

Install the new RAM.
Boot into the BIOS and set your boot order so that you boot from USB.
Plug in either the USB stick and run.

I would suggest plugging in the UltimateBoot stick and running the RAM tests first but if you want you can try booting with the Windows10 stick and see if you can "repair" Windows10 first.

Dec 28, 2020
thank you for your advice i will try this now, just a thought i had though, is it possible that there a drivers from my old RAM that are interferring with the new RAM as it says with the error code that it is a driver corruption? apologies if this is a stupid question

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Regarding Windows, yes the switch to the new RAM might be corrupting something or not being updated somewhere, which is why the suggestion to "repair" windows.

Try MemTest instead. <- this is to actually test your RAM and and make sure that it's not a hardware issue. Run this for 15-30 min. If it checks out fine. Reboot using the Windows key and try to repair.

If you get Windows, running on the new RAM, re-run MemTest over Windows to stress test and burn-in the RAM overnight.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Where are you getting the error? When trying to build the USB stick or when actually booting into the USB stick?

Did you use Rufus or similar program to make the USB stick bootable?