[SOLVED] RAM issues.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Hey, so I'm trying to buy another stick of 8gb ram. I have an i3 10100F and GTX 1660S. Will getting a 3200mhz over the 2666mhz make a big difference?

Solution
Well, you're in a country where PC hardware isn't particularly easy or cheap to come by, much like all of the countries you are surrounded by. There probably isn't going to be an easy answer here, but, the BEST answer is probably going to be that I'd recommend you simply find and buy a 2666mhz DDR4 2 x8GB kit (Which will of course eliminate problems with maybe it works together, maybe it doesn't, since they will already have been tested at the factory) of some kind, preferably something like Corsair or G.Skill, and then just sell your existing stick to somebody.

That is your best option. Chances are not great that you will find another stick like what you have now because it's not a common brand and although I've found it, model is...
Not really. If you are going to "add" RAM, which I don't usually recommend, especially at speeds over 2666mhz, but at any time really because there is just too much potential for sticks that did not come together to not want to play nice, then I'd recommend getting another stick exactly like the one you have now, or as close to it in terms of speed, timings and voltage as possible, so that you end up with a pair of sticks running in dual channel. That will offer you much more in the way of performance since it doubles the bandwidth, than any gains you'd see going from 2666mhz to 3200mhz but still using only a single stick.

Besides which, that CPU won't support 3200mhz memory operation anyhow, not even on a Z board.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Not really. If you are going to "add" RAM, which I don't usually recommend, especially at speeds over 2666mhz, but at any time really because there is just too much potential for sticks that did not come together to not want to play nice, then I'd recommend getting another stick exactly like the one you have now, or as close to it in terms of speed, timings and voltage as possible, so that you end up with a pair of sticks running in dual channel. That will offer you much more in the way of performance since it doubles the bandwidth, than any gains you'd see going from 2666mhz to 3200mhz but still using only a single stick.

Besides which, that CPU won't support 3200mhz memory operation anyhow, not even on a Z board.
I apparently have a 2667 8 gb ram stick right now. I can't seem to find another one anywhere? Is it safe to buy a 2666 one? Also how do I check the voltage and timings?

There are no 2667 sticks. It's a 2666 stick. What is the ACTUAL model of your memory module? If you are unsure, install CPU-Z, run it, click on the SPD tab, select the DIMM slot you have memory installed in from the drop down menu at the upper left side of the screen and then note the part number that is listed there for the memory module. That will tell us everything we need to know.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
There are no 2667 sticks. It's a 2666 stick. What is the ACTUAL model of your memory module? If you are unsure, install CPU-Z, run it, click on the SPD tab, select the DIMM slot you have memory installed in from the drop down menu at the upper left side of the screen and then note the part number that is listed there for the memory module. That will tell us everything we need to know.
Screenshot__36_.png
]

It says Module Manuf. Wilk Elektronik. Hoope that's what you needed to know?

No, that isn't.

Post a screenshot of the SPD tab if you would. Make sure that the slot you have the memory module installed in is selected from the drop down menu on the SPD tab page.

Or, remove the memory module and find the model number on the sticker that should be somewhere on the memory module.

Or, download and run Taiphoon burner free edition, which should also provide you with the model of any installed memory modules.

Well, you're in a country where PC hardware isn't particularly easy or cheap to come by, much like all of the countries you are surrounded by. There probably isn't going to be an easy answer here, but, the BEST answer is probably going to be that I'd recommend you simply find and buy a 2666mhz DDR4 2 x8GB kit (Which will of course eliminate problems with maybe it works together, maybe it doesn't, since they will already have been tested at the factory) of some kind, preferably something like Corsair or G.Skill, and then just sell your existing stick to somebody.

That is your best option. Chances are not great that you will find another stick like what you have now because it's not a common brand and although I've found it, model is GR2666D464L19S/8G, it's more expensive as far as I can see than it would be to simply buy a full 16GB kit that comes with sticks that are guaranteed to work together.

Anything similar to what you see listed here would probably be fine.

https://tr.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&S=2666,5100&Z=16384002&t=14

Solution

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020

That is your best option. Chances are not great that you will find another stick like what you have now because it's not a common brand and although I've found it, model is GR2666D464L19S/8G, it's more expensive as far as I can see than it would be to simply buy a full 16GB kit that comes with sticks that are guaranteed to work together.

https://tr.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#sort=price&S=2666,5100&Z=16384002&t=14
Alright, thank you!

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020

One more quick question! Will it be OK if I get the 3000mhz 2x8 kit? Although my motherboard can only support 2933mhz kits. I understand that it will not run on 3000mhz, but 2933mhz, but will it be a problem or am I fine to go with it?

Your motherboard will ONLY support 2666mhz with an i3 or i5 installed. You need an i7 or i9 installed for memory support above 2666mhz.

• Dual Channel DDR4 Memory Technology
  • 2 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
  • Supports DDR4 2933 / 2800 / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
  • Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  • Max. capacity of system memory: 64GB**
  • Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 2.0
  • 15μ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots

*Please refer to Memory Support List on ASRock's website for more information.
Core™ (i9/i7) support DDR4 up to 2933; Core™ (i5/i3), Pentium® and Celeron® support DDR4 up to 2666.

But, if the 3000mhz kit is less expensive it will still be a good choice because it will simply downclock itself to 2666mhz PLUS if you upgrade the CPU later to an i7 or i9 model, or upgrade the whole platform at some point, you'll already have faster memory that is ready for use with it.

rezaka16

Prominent
Dec 10, 2020
Your motherboard will ONLY support 2666mhz with an i3 or i5 installed. You need an i7 or i9 installed for memory support above 2666mhz.

• Dual Channel DDR4 Memory Technology
  • 2 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
  • Supports DDR4 2933 / 2800 / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
  • Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  • Max. capacity of system memory: 64GB**
  • Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 2.0
  • 15μ Gold Contact in DIMM Slots
*Please refer to Memory Support List on ASRock's website for more information.
Core™ (i9/i7) support DDR4 up to 2933; Core™ (i5/i3), Pentium® and Celeron® support DDR4 up to 2666.

But, if the 3000mhz kit is less expensive it will still be a good choice because it will simply downclock itself to 2666mhz PLUS if you upgrade the CPU later to an i7 or i9 model, or upgrade the whole platform at some point, you'll already have faster memory that is ready for use with it.
OK thank you a lot!!!

Well, the model looks right, but the image sure doesn't look like the images of that model that come up everywhere EXCEPT for THAT site. It could still be the right memory, and the picture is just wrong.

Still, keep in mind before you make any decisions that even if you get the EXACT same model as what you already have, there is no guarantee that it's going to play nice/be compatible with the one you already have. Happens all the time. It might work with it but there is always a chance it won't. Only when the memory you buy all comes together in one kit is it guaranteed to be compatible with each other. So, you could be rolling the dice. It will probably be fine, IF it IS the same model, but if it's not compatible or you have issues don't be terribly surprised because you knew ahead of time that it could happen.