[SOLVED] Ram keeps reverting from docp speed after restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks in advance this is hard to google because all the search results come back for how to enable docp. Not what I'm looking for.

Issue: DOCP speed applies after setting it, saving and restarting. 3600mhz confirmed in gpuz, but then the next time I restart the computer it'll be back to 2133. If I then go to bios my proper settings are still showing. (DOCP enabled, ram speed 3600 ... )

Then I restore defaults, restart and reload the docp, restart and 3600 is once again showing in windows but the next time I restart it'll be back to 2133 again :(

I'd really appreciate any insight on this, thanks for reading <3

Edit to add specs:

amd 3800x
asus tuf x570
gskill trident z neo 3600
evga 850 gt psu
evga 3070

Last edited:
Solution
Thanks for the reply, booted up today and yea ram has reset again, so it seems to change the speed back on every restart.

amd 3800x
asus tuf x570
gskill tridentz neo ddr4 3600 (fc-3600c18d-16gtzn is that sku?)
evga 850 gt psu
G.Skill F4-3600C18D-16GTZN are OC RAM and listed on the MB QVL however your 3800x supports up to 3200Mhz. It is dependent on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip as to what frequency you can achieve. There is no guaranty you will get to the rated frequency of 3600Mhz.
You can try to manually set the SPD for a lower frequency in Bios however if instability becomes a factor then return the kit for a kit at 3200Mhz CL14 which will perform just as well or better than...
Thanks in advance this is hard to google because all the search results come back for how to enable docp. Not what I'm looking for.

Issue: DOCP speed applies after setting it, saving and restarting. 3600mhz confirmed in gpuz, but then the next time I restart the computer it'll be back to 2133. If I then go to bios my proper settings are still showing. (DOCP enabled, ram speed 3600 ... )

Then I restore defaults, restart and reload the docp, restart and 3600 is once again showing in windows but the next time I restart it'll be back to 2133 again :(

I'd really appreciate any insight on this, thanks for reading <3
Test with one stick of ram in the proper slot.

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
Do you have the latest BIOS? Are modules in A2 B2 slots?

With DOCP enabled, manually set DRAM Frequency to DDR4-3400 or 3200 to see if it can be more stable. If not, you may need to test one module at a time to see if one performs differently than the other.

If one does, send them in for RMA

Cool nice to get a reply from gskill support that's awesome.

BIOS was updated a couple months ago but I'll check if there's a new one, sticks are definitely in a2 b2.

I have kinda been experiencing some issues since I first installed this ram. After I put it in I started to get what looks like a display driver crash while gaming. I'd get like 1 second of black screen, after which open windows like steam or discord would become black but still responsive if I know where to click.

It wasn't quite frequent enough to make me bring the ram back to the store but this is definitely getting inconvenient now.

Really appreciate the response :)

Thanks for the reply, booted up today and yea ram has reset again, so it seems to change the speed back on every restart.

amd 3800x
asus tuf x570
gskill tridentz neo ddr4 3600 (fc-3600c18d-16gtzn is that sku?)
evga 850 gt psu
G.Skill F4-3600C18D-16GTZN are OC RAM and listed on the MB QVL however your 3800x supports up to 3200Mhz. It is dependent on the strength of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip as to what frequency you can achieve. There is no guaranty you will get to the rated frequency of 3600Mhz.
You can try to manually set the SPD for a lower frequency in Bios however if instability becomes a factor then return the kit for a kit at 3200Mhz CL14 which will perform just as well or better than 3600Mhz CL18.
The kit I refer to is F4-3200C14D-16GTRX and should have a profile for easy Overclocking and are a tested kit.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can try to manually set the SPD for a lower frequency in Bios however if instability becomes a factor then return the kit for a kit at 3200Mhz CL14 which will perform just as well or better than 3600Mhz CL18.
The kit I refer to is F4-3200C14D-16GTRX and should have a profile for easy Overclocking and are a tested kit.

Seriously doubt thats the issue, since windows boots and runs after DOCP is set and confirmed in windows at 3600MHz. It's on reboot that bios is reset to 2133MHz. Native IMC speeds for Zen2 is 2666MHz and I've yet to see a Zen2 not handle upto 3766MHz as that's the limit for the 1:1 infinity fabric and Zen2 can have issues with an fclock of 2000 or higher.

Much more likely 2133MHz is saved under Profile #1, and on boot Profile #1 is set/default boot. No matter what is set and saved on initial boot, at reboot bios loads Profile #1 and 2133MHz. At a very minimum, Op could setup the DOCP for 3600MHz, save it, save it to Profile #2 and order bios to load Profile #2 at boot. On each successive reboot, bios will load 3600MHz, just as if set manually.

Jonny Sparta

Honorable
Apr 24, 2016
My profile 1 has the docp saved to it. If i power on to windows and ram is at 2133 and then return to bios profile 1 and the docp settings are still showing.

I did also run a 3600 corsair vengeance kit before this and never had any issues at 3600. Either with resetting speed or random black screens.

As suggested above I tried loading docp then manually setting ram speed to 3400 and adjusting fabric accordingly. So far the ram speed is holding between restarts. But not really the solution I'm hoping for. This ram has been running at 3600 for months without this resetting issue, if 3400 is the new stable then that feels like something has actually degraded.

I"ll try one stick at a time at 3600 later tonight and post the results for that.

Really appreciate all the feedback <3

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Profiles don't work unless you then set that to load. Usually right there on the same page. You can save multiple different profiles, just boot to bios and change which gets booted. It'll boot the same profile every time until you change it.

Very handy when overclocking etc, just save your good, stable OC to profile, then change bios settings, tinker etc and reboot. If it's still not right, or things go wrong, you'll always have the saved profile so don't have to start from scratch resetting everything to get you back to where you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.