Question RAM lesson please for Dell Optiplex 990 (can i use server memory?)

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
I have a DELL optiplex 990 running an older i7 that i want to upgrade a bit with more ram and an SSD. the unit(from Dell spec sheet says: Non-ECC dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

i would like to pick up a 4x4gb kit as cheap as possible(used is fine) and i am finding some things on eBay with those specs but are listed as "Server Memory". Is that something i can use or no? Any other insight on what i should avoid or look for with those specs i listed? Thank you !

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
If it is non-ECC then yes, if it is ECC memory which I believe most server memory is then no. If it doesn't specifically list what it is, I wouldn't buy it.

DDR3 is pretty cheap, you can usually find 8GB for roughly 10 or 20 bucks.
Thanks, im look for a 4x4GB kit Any suggestion on best place to shop?

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Why are you looking for a 4x4GB kit? Two 8GB sticks would be just fine.

Just check ebay, crasiglist, Facebook Market Place etc. If you have a computer recycling place sometimes they also sell the good parts out of PCs like RAM, CPUs etc.

the board has 4 slots and a 16 gb max i just presumed 4x4>
Will it take 2x8 and just leave two slots open?

BNDAZ

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
No you can just use two sticks. You will need to install them in slots A1 and B1 in order to get dual channel mode

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_optiplex_desktop/optiplex-990_service manual2_en-us.pdf

The only issue I see is that Dells can have some memory compatibility issues for non Dell RAM. Crucial I believe has the best track record of working. Its been a long time since I owned a Dell so I don't remember exactly.
excellent, thank you !

Dells need low density RAM which is X64, not "AMD" x128 modules. An Optiplex will need UDIMM memory. Some server RAM is RDIMM and needs a server chipset to work. Some people report systems using ECC RAM and just ignoring the extra chip, but no guarantee it will work for you. Crucial.com will guarntee their kits.