RAM Memory Issue

Jul 11, 2018
I have just bought a new RAM memory card, which is 4GB DDR3 1333MHz like my current card. My PC is HQ Compaq 6200 SFF Pro PC with its original motherboard. I checked before buying how much memory my computer can handle, and it stated that it can hold a maximum 16GB RAM memory capacity.
Here's the problem.
I put in my new RAM card in each and every slot available, and the computer never booted up. It would just create loud noise that would stop after a couple of minutes. I took out the new RAM and booted up the computer again, and everything worked fine. So just in case, I took my original RAM card and replaced it with the one I bought, and the computer wouldn't boot up, which means that the problem lies within the new card that I bought. Also, I was very cautious when I was adding and removing RAM, I even followed a detailed YouTube video, so I didn't damage the card.
So why cannot my computer recognize the newly added memory card? Could it be that I bought a broken peace? Are there any more reasons to why it doesn't work?

tapak

Prominent
Oct 9, 2018
Make sure that the RAM you bought is the EXACT same as your other one.

Then, put one stick in the slot called "DDR_1", the closest slot from the CPU, and insert your other one in the 3rd slot from the CPU

When you are done, take a screwdriver or a small piece of metal and short the "RESET CMOS" pins.

Jul 11, 2018
It's not the exact same brand. I'm not really well educated with this kind of stuff. My original/current RAM card is green DDR3 of 4gb, and the one I bought is blue, but also DDR3 and 4gb RAM. I read somewhere that the brand doesn't matter, just the DDR. So does it have to be identical?

tapak

Prominent
Oct 9, 2018

of course they have to be the same DDR, check the speed of the RAM, the CAS latency, ECC/non-ECC

you can find this on the manufacturer's website and if something is different, you should return the stick