[SOLVED] RAM modules latches don't close - Can't install RAM

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Sorry if this a really basic question but I'm stuck.

My RAM is DDR3, M378B1G73EB0-YK0. I have a HP Pavilion 550-227c.

I was replacing one my RAM modules and after putting the new one in, the latches won't close. They are double latches.

The RAM is DDR3, it's facing the right way, and when I push down there's no give so I assume it's in all the way. The computer is four or five years old, so I don't think the latches are automatic.

The latches won't close, no matter how much I push on them.

So I opened the latches on the other module to see what it should look like when the module is completely set with the latches open and now I can't close those latches either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've included a picture below. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

View: https://imgur.com/a/sQjLICG

Solution
Take them back out and check the DIMM slots for debris or bent pins. There isn't any magic bullet here.

There are only a few reasons why memory won't fit, ever.

1. Wrong type of memory.

2. Something is bent on the module or the DIMM slot.

3. The memory is not oriented correctly so that the notch lines up with the keyway.

4. Some kind of foreign object is down in the DIMM slot.

5. The locks were not fully opened when you tried to insert the DIMM.

6. Not enough force. And you better be careful with that one because it really shouldn't take much force to get a DIMM to seat.

Normally, I make sure the locks are FULLY opened as far as they will go. Then I insert the DIMM straight down until it meets resistance. Then I grab each end...
Well, you have to be doing something wrong. You are 500% certain that the notch in the bottom of the memory lines up with the keyway in the bottom of the slot? Check again. Also, make sure there is nothing else down in the DIMM slots that could be stopping it. Most likely the reason is that the memory is NOT facing the right way.

If it IS lined up correctly then try grabbing the DIMM at both ends and gently rocking it back and forth while pressing down. Are both ends not engaging the lock tangs or only one end?

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
turn the ram stick around?

the notch is longer on 1 side
Yes, I tried that but it don't fit.

Well, you have to be doing something wrong. You are 500% certain that the notch in the bottom of the memory lines up with the keyway in the bottom of the slot? Check again. Also, make sure there is nothing else down in the DIMM slots that could be stopping it. Most likely the reason is that the memory is NOT facing the right way.

If it IS lined up correctly then try grabbing the DIMM at both ends and gently rocking it back and forth while pressing down. Are both ends not engaging the lock tangs or only one end?
Yes, I tried flipping it around but it didn't fit. I tried rocking it at your suggestion but there was no change.

Both lock tangs don't close. I took the module out and could close the tangs with no RAM installed so it's not an issue with the tangs.

Take them back out and check the DIMM slots for debris or bent pins. There isn't any magic bullet here.

There are only a few reasons why memory won't fit, ever.

1. Wrong type of memory.

2. Something is bent on the module or the DIMM slot.

3. The memory is not oriented correctly so that the notch lines up with the keyway.

4. Some kind of foreign object is down in the DIMM slot.

5. The locks were not fully opened when you tried to insert the DIMM.

6. Not enough force. And you better be careful with that one because it really shouldn't take much force to get a DIMM to seat.

Normally, I make sure the locks are FULLY opened as far as they will go. Then I insert the DIMM straight down until it meets resistance. Then I grab each end of the module and gently wiggle it from one side to the other, longwise, while pushing down gently, until one side and then the other pushes past the resistance and engages the locks. Then, if necessary, close the locks, but for most motherboards that happens automatically. Even very old ones. Some may only have a moving lock on one end and a static lock on the other side that does not move. If that's the case then you need to partially insert that end first to be sure it slips under the tang on the lock.

Looking at that last picture, it doesn't look to me like the lock actually IS in the open position, so that the memory can seat.

Solution

RabbitsTachi

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2014
Ok, it took a bunch of tries but I finally got it. Thank you everyone!

But since replacing my RAM there's a weird new software problem. My computer doesn't come out of hibernation. The tower lights up but there's nothing on the monitor. The mouse and keyboard don't light up either. Is that caused by changing the RAM or is it something separate?

Disable hibernation. It doesn't work properly on most Windows 10 desktop systems anyhow, ESPECIALLY if you have Windows 10 installed on very old hardware and for this purpose we consider anything running DDR3 to be "very old hardware".

Hibernation is pointless for desktop systems anyhow. Sleep states still work perfectly fine and normal without hibernation enabled and I disable it as a matter of course on all applicable systems.

To disable Hibernation:

1. The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"

2. Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input

3. Now just exit out of command prompt