Hi,

Specs:
Intel i7 5820k
Asus x99 deluxe
16Gb Gskill DDR4 2400Mhz
AMD R7 270
XFX 750W XXX
Windows 8.1 Pro x64

I finished building my new desktop a few days ago. At first I had some problems as the computer would automatically restart with Blue screen.
I ran memtest86 and the first time I got and error in the test. I swapped the sticks place and made sure everything was clean. This solved the problem.
Yesterday, it was only recognizing 12Gb of RAM or 3 sticks. The A1 socket was not recognized.
Today I turned on the pc again and it was only recognizing 8Gb. The A1 and C1 were not recognized.

CPU-Z and Asus AI Suite can both detect the 4 RAM sticks inserted in the socket but neither the BIOS nor Windows can detect them.

I tried changing the sticks place. Used only one at a time and all of them were working fine. I also updated the BIOS to the lastest option (0904) and even tried to clear CMOS on the board.

I have no more ideas.I can add some screenshots if needed. If anyone can help me I'll be very gratefull.

Pedro Estima

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I've tried sticking one at a time already and they all worked fine. Even when I used them 2 at a time in Dual channel they all worked.
The problem arises in Quad Channel when I use all 4 sticks. Two of them are not recognized.

cirdecus

Distinguished
funny questions, but have you checked the memory compatibility chart for your x99 deluxe? Many times, newer boards like this have some issues with certain RAM configurations. I bought an ASUS Rampage Extreme before which would not work properly when fully paired with GSkill memory. Certain slower modules worked and other brands did, but not the Ripjaws I was using. I called and confirmed with ASUS.

This could be your problem. Again, its not just the memory stick itself, its the arrangement of the particular chips and brands that also affect compatibility. I would ditch the Gskills and get some Corsair memory.

Pedro Estima

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
I just tried reseating the cpu as well and nothing again.

Yes I actually have on their website. "G.SKILL F4-2400C15Q-16GRK 16GB(4GB*4)" It is indeed aproved by their list.
Even if I wanted. Droping another 200€ for it would be too much.

I would rather find some solution right now.

Increasing the Voltage didn't work as well. Also tried to increase the frequency and had the same result. :S
Any other ideas please?

Claic

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I am having the same problem with my setup. I have the ASUS-X99 Deluxe with i7-5930k and the Gskill 16GB RAM I have the 2800mhz version. With us both having the same issue of CPU-Z showing us as having the 16GB but BiOS only showing 8GB as well as Windows there has to be something we are missing.

Can anyone help us? Did you perhaps find the answer?

ghibinjis

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Certain slower modules worked and other brands did, but not the Ripjaws I was using. I called and confirmed with ASUS.
92Eyn4

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

@ghibinjis,

Why do you do that? The o.p. already stated that his ram is on the compatibility list.

ChrisVTR

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015
I had a similar problem with 64Gb of Crucial Ballistic 2400Mhz and an Asus X99E-WS. It would detect only 32Gb or occasionally 48Gb. Upping the DRAM voltage sorted it for me. 1.28-1.29 meant that it would sometimes detect all 64Gb, I had to go to 1.30 for it to detect all 64Gb on every boot.

Bakili

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
It seems to be an old thread, but yet I have similar issues with my x99 deluxe / 5820K and 4x4gb Kingston 2666 c13 ram sticks.
While i run the system with the XMP enabled on BIOS on 2666 Mhz (125 strap) the bios recognizes 16Gb of total memory correctly. But once I overclock the ram to 3000 from time to time bios enables 8Gb or 12Gb occasionally. I continue to reset the system until i see 16Gb total memory available in bios. However, even when the bios reports 8 or 16gb i can still see the sticks recognized under the tools/spd in Bios in all the activated channels a1 b1 c1 and d1. But one or two of them are not showing the speed of the stick. Once the bios recognizes all 4 sticks correctly, the system is stable. Until the next power cycle. I have added the cache voltage and the sys agent voltages accordingly. It seems to be the bios issue related to the 3000mhz ram oveclocking.
Does anyone solved it with any additional setting in the bios ?

merwan

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I also been having similar issues with memory being reported in bios (less than 16gb). I guess im not the only one so does seem like a genuine problem that Asus or Gskill will need to address at some point.

My specs:
Asus X99-A
NH-D15
Gskill 4x4gb 2666mhz (F4-2666C15Q-16GRR)
AX760
windows 7 64bit
M4 128gb

I have tried the usual diagnosing i.e. reseat cpu cooler, update to latest bios (1801), clear cmos, fresh window installs, memtest 86 checking each stick individually, in pairs and all together (zero errors). When i got fed up I decided to return the motherboard and cpu back to retailer for testing, they only had corsair memory kit brand to test with and didnt report any issues then returned back to me. So is it possible that gskill memory kits are not being accepted on certain x99 asus build configurations?

Anyways I noticed that the memory issue definitely occurs when I set memory speed to its advertised speed (2666mhz). However once I raised memory speed (2750 or 2800mhz depending on chosen cpu strap), all 16gb memory was recognised so this is my current solution atm. I havent tried other memory speeds enough to confidently say if they also have this issue or not. Anyways hope Asus or Gskill will find a proper solution one day.

edit: after trying out same exact new components (new cpu, mobo, memory) I still experienced the same exact issue specifically when memory was manually set at its advertised speed (2666mhz). This further confirms to me that asus and gskill need to work together to figure out why there is a failure of memory detection occasionally on boot ups. Obviously I requested returns on all the components as this has become unacceptable to me now.

GunWoman

Reputable
Aug 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

Another poor soul with the exact same problem here. My specs: X99 Deluxe, i7-5820k, Kingston Hyperx DDR4 16gb 2666.

Problem: one memory slot can't be recognized, so I currently have 12gb instead of16gb. Neither BIOS nor Windows recognizes it, HOWEVER the CPU-Z program DOES recognize all four memory slots, providing all the information about them and saying there are 16gb, BUT at the same time it says "triple channel" (how is this possible?).

The memory sticks are fine, tested them already. What's interesting is that they all worked fine from the beginning when I first tried my new pc (all of the components were bought together except the SSD), but then something happened and one slot stopped being recognized.

Tried to reseat the CPU, set the ram voltage a little higher... Nothing. I can't flash bios because after doing so my motherboard doesn't get to the post screen, unless I press "cmos_clear". Should I RMA the motherboard?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
It would best to start your own thread instead of reviving an old one,there will be more people who will look at it and maybe have a solution.

More on topic,

a specific slot that is the problem? If so is an rma a good choice.Also a strange thing that the bios can't be flashed.Tried the "usb flashback" option for that?

dbishop

Reputable
Aug 16, 2015
hope this answer helps. I have a asus x99-pro motherboard with Ballistix 32gb of DDR4 ram and I had a relatively similar issue. The motherboard was only showing 16gb/32gb. I found the following post to be helpful:

ChrisVTR says:

I had a similar problem with 64Gb of Crucial Ballistic 2400Mhz and an Asus X99E-WS. It would detect only 32Gb or occasionally 48Gb. Upping the DRAM voltage sorted it for me. 1.28-1.29 meant that it would sometimes detect all 64Gb, I had to go to 1.30 for it to detect all 64Gb on every boot.

I went into the AI Tweaker or Asus UEFI Bios Utility and disabled DRAM SVID Support. Then I entered 1.3 for the DRAM Voltage (CHA, CHB) and DRAM Voltage (CHC, CHD)

Saved and restarted, then BAM! 32GB of RAM!!!

Thanks ChrisVTR

Zagna

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015
Same problem here with sabertooth x99 and G.Skill 2800mhz . Keeps losing one random dimm of four 12gb of 16gb detected. CPU-Z detects 16gb - bios and windows detects 12gb...
Tried raising voltage , svid support off but nothing . After several on - off eventually loses one dimm.
The only thing that didnt do already is to reseat the cpu.

el_cangrydmanati

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

el_cangrydmanati

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014
Simple and stuped i have the same proble when i over clock the cpu and put the strap at 125 xmp profile dose the same ok so cangry let tray stock speed cpu and xmp dose the same thing this some tips this mother board dosent overclok well whit xmp and not only that the mother board dosent go above 2133hz so in other to appear all u ramp try 2133 stock speed reset ur bios and let them ram like that is the only way u wont get and error i well boot fine now i got a new proble where window stay in the fukin loko stock there nothing happeng jut error ae soo im done fixin this board i though i was my m.2 hyperx predator i dont know im goin to tray ssd let see but if put to boot usb dose the sam ..and in case u can ask me enything i know how to work this board

Diabloborracho

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
I had a similar problem when I reseated my i7-5930K. A bit of plastic debris hit one of my pins, so the RAM on DIMM_C1/D1 was not fully registering in the BIOS. My BIOS would only detect 8GB or 16, and the sticks would show up in BIOS reading "(Blank) GB, (Blank) Hz". Windows only recognized 8GB, but CPUID would show 16GB as being plugged in.

Switching the sticks did nothing. as the sticks were all perfectly fine, it was a bad pin (or pins) that weren't reading DIMM_C1/D1.

I recommend reseating your CPU and checking for any lint/dirt/debris or bent pins.

Intel i7-5930K
Kraken X61 280mm CPU Cooler
ASUS X99-Deluxe
16GB (4x4) Corsair LPX DDR4 3000MHz
Dual 7970 in crossfire
Corsair H1000i

Status
Not open for further replies.