Ram not posting, booting. GIves error code

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshYoBoi

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
Hey everyone,

I just built a new i7 rig and took the old ram from my old computer (It is DDR4) and slapped it in my new one, that works fine and all, but when I put the new Gskill ram I purchased in, it dosent even make the post beeps, just debug codes on the board (4c and 30 I think). And yes, ive already tried the stick by itself, it does not work either. If anyone knows whats wrong thatd help a lot.

Thank you!

Edit: Forgot my specs

I7-8700k
Evga Ftw z370 motherboard
700w Antec psu
Msi Rx580 gaming 8g Gpu
Cooler Master m240l RGB
I have no clue what brand the other memory is, but it works lol

Solution

JoshYoBoi

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

Yes ive done this, however, the single stick of Gskill, still does not work in the same slot that the old ram works in by it self. So I'm not sure if the timing is wrong or something or voltage....im lost

if the new stick of ram on it's own does not boot in any slot then it is faulty. if it only happens when you try to run it with your old ram installed then it is likely not going to because you are trying to mix ram with different specs

JoshYoBoi

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

That's what I was afraid of, ok thank you

Okay, chances are there will be no way to get the mixed DIMMS to work together. They will have different timings, voltage, and speed.

Please link the models for both DIMMS. If the Gskill is OC, like 2933, 3000, 3200 speeds or above, it means you will have to set the memory timings in bios under XMP profile to achieve full speed and get it to work. Don't return just yet. The old DIMMS and new most likely won't work together for the reasons I mentioned above. You can't just drop two different sets in and assume they will work. It takes a lot of tricking around in the bios to make that happen. And you need to read a bit about it to understand what to do.

I think you're jumping the gun a little. It may be the new DIMM needs to be configured by XMP. If the DIMMS are fast like Ive mentioned, then it will need to be done by XMP or manually setting timings, voltage and speeds. It doesn't necessarily mean the DIMM is faulty.

edit: knowing the two models DIMMS well help figure that out!!

JoshYoBoi

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

Will check back with you in a moment, doing that now

Yes and no. That's the default speed for most DDR4 DIMMS. 1066, translates to 2133mhz. It'd 'DDR' ie. 'double data rate', so it's x 2 for the actual speed.

Which set is that for? The old or the new ones. Please link the model of both, then I can tell you better what to do.

Posting the Spd tab will tell us the model number of your DIMM/s and we can search using that info. But if you can link the DIMMS from manufacturer that will save a lot of time.

JoshYoBoi

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

https://imgur.com/a/pzXHwqy

The new ram I just bought is "G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15S-8GVR" (sorry just copied and pasted from newegg lol)

Is that image for the old DIMMS, or the Gskill?

According to that image the max speed is 2133. So i'm presuming it's the older DIMM!?

So, if you were to put th new Gskill in, you would need to go the bios and set XMP for your 2400mhz gskill, or set the timings manually. Once you do one or the other, the Gskill should boot.

Keep in mind, the gskill is not that much faster, so you won't have much benefit. With that said, it's possible to have both the old DIMM and new one run together at 2133, with 1.2 volts. This would mean you have 16gb of ram, which would almost make up for the low speed of 2133. You would need to put in both DIMMS, set the speed at 2133 and voltage at 1.2, and they 'may' boot together. If they don't then your screwed.

Ideally you always want to buy ram in 2x kits. So 2x 4gbs, or 2x 8gbs. You also need to match it to the QVL for your motherboard. The QVL is the 'qualified vendors list'. This lets you know if the ram you purchased is compatible with your motherboard.

JoshYoBoi

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

That's the problem, the gskill ram dosent boot period, I can t get into the bios with it and no splash screen or anything, even with just that stick itself and no other stick

It's quite possible thats the case. I can't get the QVL for you mobo (the EVGA site seems trash for that!) Given you don't know for certain the DIMMS haven't been tested, means you can't be guaranteed they will work. Sadly, you may have to return them as Captaincharisma has suggested.

Look into the QVL for your mobo,.and purchase a set that's one it (a 2 x 4/8gb kit) and you may have better luck then.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.