[SOLVED] Ram not working for no reason

May 19, 2020
I took the on of the ram sticks out of an old dell dimension 4600 while it was off and unplugged and then put it back in and now it is not working, it has 3 1gb ram sticks and 1 256mb stick and I have rearranged and tried everything and the computer will not make it past the boot screen, after that it just black screens and beeps twice

Solution
here is manual for correct ram installation for that pc..
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/553393/Dell-Dimension-4600-Series.html?page=13#manual

if pair of mix&match combinations in pairs in right slots at a time, not giving result , with correct order of slotting them in than , either somehow more than 2 ram sticks went and you should get pair to test it first, as ram seems most obvious problem, with ram being reorganized and not working after as well as giving 2 beeps. or you not seeing boot screen because of connection, but on screen error reports hd missing, which you could maybe disconected while you at it or something... but i wouldn`t try anything else , till i would try 2 working ramsticks as pair in right slots...

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
try ,,,
  • Install a pair of matched memory modules in connectors DIMM1 and DIMM2 and another matched pair in connectors DIMM3 and DIMM4, since you have seems one different than others, do pair of same at a time.
  • Be sure to install a single memory module in DIMM 1 or the connector closest to the processor before you install modules in the other connectors.
  • power of system, Hold ram stick by edges only and touch case at a back or some radiator to ground yourself before handling ram sticks. make sure they "click/bed in" nicely and evenly.

Last edited:

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
you would have to break one of each paired ram slots for no combination to work, as well as its still should work with single ram stick either in dimm1 or dimm3. beeps twice is for memory problems usually , even your motherboards manual dont have 2 beep sequence between options mentioned.
by boot screen, you mean anything at all , like bios screen with writing on it ? or nothing at all ?
and ram sticks can be sensitive, if you put them on a carpet beside you while you were changing them, then yes, it could kill them.
stick one ram stick at time in dimm1 and try boot. can`t be all dead by now.

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
here is manual for correct ram installation for that pc..
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/553393/Dell-Dimension-4600-Series.html?page=13#manual

if pair of mix&match combinations in pairs in right slots at a time, not giving result , with correct order of slotting them in than , either somehow more than 2 ram sticks went and you should get pair to test it first, as ram seems most obvious problem, with ram being reorganized and not working after as well as giving 2 beeps. or you not seeing boot screen because of connection, but on screen error reports hd missing, which you could maybe disconected while you at it or something... but i wouldn`t try anything else , till i would try 2 working ramsticks as pair in right slots, installed 1st closest to cpu and dimm2 after...

Solution

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
forgot to mention, dont know if you have intrusion detection enabled , you might be getting on screen warnings that your case was or is open ( if you not close it properly while testing ) , you might as well hit F1 everytime you wait a bit. since you dont see your screen it might display warning message with 2 beeps that you had case opened. and press F1 to continue.

here is someone with similar problem
https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/Upgrading-RAM/td-p/3500864

chuda

Commendable
Aug 28, 2017
glad to hear, if F1 let you trough and all 4 ram is installed and boots, then , yes, just bios warning then was stopping for system to continue boot.

if you really wanna find out cause , we can check logs...

otherwise, work away and glad you sorted