[SOLVED] Ram not working in any slots

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
so I’ve always have ram problems if I remove a gpu I have to reseat or clean my ram every time so one day I decided to clean my pc all I did was get the dust out and remove some fans to clean put it all back together And also when I unplugge my pc all my bios settings reset so I have to change the settings every time unplugge my pc so when I booted it up
It didn’t turn on at first so I unplugged and plugged it back then it turns on so after I change my bios settings all I change is the fans speed
Then I hit save and exit then pc then gos to bios splash then restarts it won’t get to windows it just restarts when it gets to bios splash so I decided to reseat the ram cause I always have ram problems so now the pc is in a bootloop and beep code of 5 long beeps
And no ram slots are working so I cleaned the ram but no success And there’s this black residue on my pins that I can’t get off any suggestions? Thanks

Solution
It doesn't matter what type of board or System you are running if you have bad RAM or Faulty RAM The Bios will give out an warning throe beeping codes doesn't matter what type of codes.......Now In this Thread @kaib said that his RAM has black residue on it and everytime he Installs those 2x 8GB RAM sticks HE GETS AN BIOS ERROR BEEP CODE AND A BOOTLOOP.
So its really obvious to think that it is definitely the RAM. @Darkbreeze Its true what you said "board manufacturers have their own brand specific variations on what codes are used on" but all most common used codes is endless beeping noises (Faulty RAM) or 5 or longer Beeping Codes (Faulty RAM).

@kaib Try using a Different RAM stick or borrow a Friends RAM...

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I have 2 8g ram sticks with black residue on both sticks that I can’t get off.
I get 5 long beeps then bootloop. Any suggestions or is it just bad ram?

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Thanks for replying I’ll get a new battery when I get a chance as for the picture I’m new to tomshardware so I don’t know how to send the picture I’m on a iPhone can you help me out?

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I tried the new cmos battery but no success still boot loops but it did fix this thing where
If my pc was unplugged and I plugged it back in it whould start the fans for a quick sec then it whould turn off then turn back on

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
if my ram is not working I clean my ram sticks if that doesn’t work I will blow some Compressed air in the slots And I do deep cleans as a last resort so I’ll unplugged my pc take out the cmos battery let it train power for about 2 hours then I will put quick drying contact cleaner on a soft brush then dip it in the cleaner then i clean the slots then I let it dry over night

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Power supply thermal take tr2 600w
CPU Intel i7-6700
Motherboard ga-z170x-gaming (rev1.0)
Ram Gskill ripjaws model F4-2400C15S-8GVR

Last edited:
Even a quick drying cleaner will dry for sure but leave a residue..... I would never "deep clean" in the RAM slots, The black residue is likely the burnt stuff from your deep cleaning that is now stuck on the pins and blocking the contact. It will be hard to get that off without damaging the connections, sounds like you have a dead Mobo and/or RAM sticks.

This however may help you....

Last edited:

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
MNG7Yj.jpg

You won't be able to see it in the slot, but cleaners make many claims... "kills 99% of germs" really means under lab conditions and applied for 36 hours under ultra violet light with a lab tech playing the violin in the corner while sitting on an elephant balancing on a tennis ball !!!!! Not spray and wipe in your kitchen. That looks like classic heat damage and your RAM slots may well be shot I'm afraid.

Is there a way to test the RAM in another PC? If the RAM works then it is your Mobo. I really think though your Mobo RAM slots are pretty fried if it is leaving scorch marks on your RAM connectors. Sorry for the bad news but NEVER use a can of even AIR cleaner or any other and spray it INTO RAM, CPU slots, there is always a small amount of liquid and agent that comes out and leaves a tiny amount of residue. Normally just a quick puff from a distance of a few inches is enough but never directly INTO the slot.

Yups that Beep Codes are definitely Related to faulty RAM.Maybe replace them or try to boot only with one RAM stick.

How do you know this? Different BIOS manufacturers use different codes for things, and none of them are the same. Award uses completely different error codes than Phoenix which uses different codes than American megatrends, and so on.

Without knowing the board model and BIOS manufacturer/type, or board brand, because sometimes board manufacturers have their own brand specific variations on what codes are used on their own boards regardless that a specific BIOS manufacturer might have a different set of standard beeps or Qcodes, then there is no way to say or know that it is definitely, or even possibly, memory related.

@kaib , did the memory come like this, with the black residue on them? If so, return it. If not, then how did it get on there? If you bought it used, TRY to return it. If you can't return it and are stuck with them, then posting pictures here to show us what you are talking about would be helpful.

You can try using isopropyl alcohol and clean cloths to get the residue off, or a clean #2 pencil eraser to rub the residue off if the alcohol fails to work. If you can't GET the residue off, then it's likely NOT residue but discoloration from thermal or short circuit damage, but those are really just guesses without seeing what is going on and having more information regarding your board model and BIOS type.

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Power supply thermal take tr2 600w
CPU Intel i7-6700
Motherboard ga-z170x-gaming (rev1.0) bios F22j
Ram Gskill ripjaws model F4-2400C15S-8GVR

Last edited:

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Thanks for help I might just get a new pc cause this one is pretty old
But if I we’re to get new ram and it does work on my motherboard whould it burn the new ram?

Definitely need a better, and preferably larger and higher resolution image. In that picture, it almost looks like the whole board is burnt or has been painted or something. Where did you get these? Were they new or used?

Answers to the questions I asked in my first post would be decidedly helpful in any attempt to offer advice.

Bassplate

Reputable
How do you know this? Different BIOS manufacturers use different codes for things, and none of them are the same. Award uses completely different error codes than Phoenix which uses different codes than American megatrends, and so on.

Without knowing the board model and BIOS manufacturer/type, or board brand, because sometimes board manufacturers have their own brand specific variations on what codes are used on their own boards regardless that a specific BIOS manufacturer might have a different set of standard beeps or Qcodes, then there is no way to say or know that it is definitely, or even possibly, memory related.

@kaib , did the memory come like this, with the black residue on them? If so, return it. If not, then how did it get on there? If you bought it used, TRY to return it. If you can't return it and are stuck with them, then posting pictures here to show us what you are talking about would be helpful.

You can try using isopropyl alcohol and clean cloths to get the residue off, or a clean #2 pencil eraser to rub the residue off if the alcohol fails to work. If you can't GET the residue off, then it's likely NOT residue but discoloration from thermal or short circuit damage, but those are really just guesses without seeing what is going on and having more information regarding your board model and BIOS type.

It doesn't matter what type of board or System you are running if you have bad RAM or Faulty RAM The Bios will give out an warning throe beeping codes doesn't matter what type of codes.......Now In this Thread @kaib said that his RAM has black residue on it and everytime he Installs those 2x 8GB RAM sticks HE GETS AN BIOS ERROR BEEP CODE AND A BOOTLOOP.
So its really obvious to think that it is definitely the RAM. @Darkbreeze Its true what you said "board manufacturers have their own brand specific variations on what codes are used on" but all most common used codes is endless beeping noises (Faulty RAM) or 5 or longer Beeping Codes (Faulty RAM).

@kaib Try using a Different RAM stick or borrow a Friends RAM and see if your PC boots up..OR use your Old faulty RAM sticks and test it in another computer.But with black Residue could mean its burned or something is wrong with the sticks.Use Electro cleaner to see if the black Residue wash off or not.

kaib

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
I got the whole pc from my brothers friend
I’d say it’s like 4 years old and no the ram did not look like this when I first Looked at the ram and the pc was vary dirty when I got it
Thanks for helping