Ram Not Working

Aug 23, 2018
My computer has a 8gb ram card in it and I decided to get another 8gb ram card. The second one was a leftover laptop 8gb card and i bought a convertor. When putting the converter one in it didnt start up. It gave the code : 0xc0000428 - Please Help

Solution
Ram works at very high bus frequencies, so it should be expected that if you randomly extend the traces, you'll have to either reduce the speed or at least timings until it is stable.

Video cards used to have expandable memory modules and this is the exact reason they stopped doing this 20 years ago. It's not unusual to have to reduce system memory speeds to run 2 dimms per channel, and DDR5 speeds are expected to be so high as to require only 1 dimm per channel.

If you look very closely at the traces around memory slots, you will see they squiggle all over the place in an attempt to get them all exactly the same length. That way signals for every pin take the same amount of time to travel and latency can be set for a specific...
Ram works at very high bus frequencies, so it should be expected that if you randomly extend the traces, you'll have to either reduce the speed or at least timings until it is stable.

Video cards used to have expandable memory modules and this is the exact reason they stopped doing this 20 years ago. It's not unusual to have to reduce system memory speeds to run 2 dimms per channel, and DDR5 speeds are expected to be so high as to require only 1 dimm per channel.

If you look very closely at the traces around memory slots, you will see they squiggle all over the place in an attempt to get them all exactly the same length. That way signals for every pin take the same amount of time to travel and latency can be set for a specific number (longer traces require more wait states). If the traces are different lengths, then there is no way for things to all arrive at the same time unless you can change the latency for each pin... and system memory does not work that way.
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibKTcKY4aww"][/video]

Solution