[SOLVED] RAM not working

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
new RAM not recognised
Have an ASUS STRIX Z270F. Decicded to increase my RAM from 32Gb to 64Gb. Had matched pair of Vengeance LPX ddr4 16Gb but could only get them to work in the A1 & A2 slots. Have now bought pair of Vengence 32Gb DDR4 matched pair @ 3600Mhz. Both these sticks work OK on their own in the A1 socket. But neither work in the A2- B1 or B2 sockets or as pair in the A2 & B2 sockets. Have followed the instructions from "DARKBREEZE" with no success.Does this indicate a faulty MOBO ??? Thanks in advance

Solution
new RAM not recognised
Have an ASUS STRIX Z270F. Decicded to increase my RAM from 32Gb to 64Gb. Had matched pair of Vengeance LPX ddr4 16Gb but could only get them to work in the A1 & A2 slots. Have now bought pair of Vengence 32Gb DDR4 matched pair @ 3600Mhz. Both these sticks work OK on their own in the A1 socket. But neither work in the A2- B1 or B2 sockets or as pair in the A2 & B2 sockets. Have followed the instructions from "DARKBREEZE" with no success.Does this indicate a faulty MOBO ??? Thanks in advance

No (2x32) kits are listed on the Motherboard QVL so they are untested.
Best compatibility for two DIMMs is the A2 and B2 slots.

I recommend returning what you have and get compatible RAM that are listed on the QVL and...
new RAM not recognised

I recommend returning what you have and get compatible RAM that are listed on the QVL and have been tested.
Is there a reason why you need 64GB?
Please list the CPU as that plays a part in what RAM you choose.

Also recommend updating Bios to version 1302 for better RAM compatibility and system stability.

Last edited:
Solution

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

I recommend returning what you have and get compatible RAM that are listed on the QVL and have been tested.
Is there a reason why you need 64GB?
Please list the CPU as that plays a part in what RAM you choose.

Also recommend updating Bios to version 1302 for better RAM compatibility and system stability.
Main reason for 64Gb is that I spend a lot of time playing Cities Skylines with over 1000 assetts and 120 mods ! Its OK when I start. But FPS is down to 5-6 at times and a bit juddery!

Main reason for 64Gb is that I spend a lot of time playing Cities Skylines with over 1000 assetts and 120 mods ! Its OK when I start. But FPS is down to 5-6 at times and a bit juddery!
Having more RAM does not help much with FPS in game. FPS is determined by the GPU or the CPU if the game is CPU intensive.
What is your GPU? as you may benefit from an upgrade rather than adding more RAM with regards to FPS.

garryash

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Just put an Asus Geforce GTX 1660 Super in. Graphics 200 x % better. Like watching an HD movie in game! CPU i7 - 7700K. The 64Gb memory is becuase I have 150 mods and on a recount - 3597 Assets and 7 DLC.