Question RAM on motherboard

ayan967g

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hi,
I am trying to assembling a PC. I have chosen gigabyte h310m s2p motherboard and Pentium gold g5400 processor. The motherboard has 2 RAM slots. I want to install 4gb RAM. I am confused whether I should buy a single 4gb ram stick or two 2gb ram stick. What about dual channel technology? Can I use it if I buy a single 4gb ram stick?

Any kind of help is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ayan

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
as the above poster stated, but with more clarification for you:

Dual channel is what happens when you take two identical sticks that come in a kit, and run them together.

4GB is really low for a modern system. While you can run the OS and a couple of apps, it won't be very good, but nonetheless the system is technically usable at a minimum.

8GB is much more recommended.

If you can afford a 2x4GB kit of the cheapest RAM, you will have a much better time with your system.

Since I live in America, I will recommend this kit assuming you live here as well since it's the cheapest I can find on PCPP.

However though, if you do not live in America, you should specify your country so that I can properly try to help you find the cheapest option out there since I assume budget is a huge concern for you based on what you've said about using 4GB of RAM in the system.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: GeIL - EVO SPEAR 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $43.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-05 01:00 EDT-0400

Reactions: ayan967g

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Kingston - FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory (₹4800.00 @ Amazon India)
Total: ₹4800.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-05 19:59 IST+0530

You can install any windows or Linux operating system you want.

But you don't have to pay for Windows 10.
Just use the media creation tool from Microsoft to make a bootable flash drive to install Windows.

Make sure the flash drive is at least 8GB in size.

And you can use windows 10 completely free without activation. The only thing activation does is remove a small watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen and unlock personalization (being able to select a color theme for task bar and window borders) but you can still change the wallpaper by downloading and image, then right clicking the image file and selecting to set it as background.

But Linux works too if you want to use that as an operating system.

Reactions: ayan967g

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Lol, I don't know, you're the one talking about running Linux and then saying you're going to use it for MS office. I would guess you need to use some open source alternative like LibreOffice or OpenOffice, like you've heard.

You could maybe use MS office Web apps, which I think is basically running the applications in the cloud through your browser. Probably need an Office 365 subscription though.