RAM Overclocking Guide: How (and Why) to Tweak Your Memory

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
MIssing: intels like higher MHz on ram, AMD's prefer tighter timings. adding blck isnt always good on cheap/lower end boards (stability), setting C/T to 1 (vs required 2) produces BSODs on most chips that i had in past 4y.
most overclocking chips from decent vendors wont allow for much additional oc (or they wont sell their next faster kit), unless its already the fastest one...

It's not completely free. RAM modules that can go above their XMP ratings usually cost more than the basic 2133 and 2400 stuff. Most non-Z boards are also very limited in their RAM tuning abilities. While you might already be getting the better mboard for reasons other than RAM tuning, you still need to spend extra on modules.

It may be cheaper than CPU OCing, but it's still not free.

I disagree with the part about 'costing more'.

---To clarify: Only talking about dual channel memory, and focusing especially on DDR3---
Almost all mainstream ram (not talking about very high speeds with tight timings, as those are really expensive) can be OCed beyond their XMP, either by increasing freq at the same effective timings, or by tightening effective timings.
(Not entry level products either)

I mean, lets ignore the Corsair Platinum Dominator and Gskill Trident. Also, let's ignore those generic, brandless green ram you can find in some OEM office PCs.

As cheap mainstream dual channel ram, it is quite common to find many Gskill models, for example the Sniper or some Ripjaws. Going with DDR3, as an example. You can easily find a Gskill Sniper 1866 CL9 among the cheapest ones. It is very likely that this ram will achieve 2000CL9 with no issue, or 1866 CL8.

And even, the cheapest generic 1333 CL9 ram can usually go to 1600 CL9 with absolutely no issue.

This is why I have to disagree with the 'costs more' part.

You're missing a very big part of this: the extra cost of the mboard and/or CPU in order to even allow you to adjust the RAM settings instead of being stuck with only the JEDEC and XMP settings. An H81 or B85 board won't go above DDR3-1400 with a G3258 CPU. An H97 board won't go above 1600 with an i3. Bottom line: in order to even attempt to OC your RAM, you first must pay for a platform that will even allow it, meaning it is not free.

Unless you were already going to get that platform anyway for other reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.