[SOLVED] RAM overclocking with a Ryzen 5 2600

Ive overclocked my 2666MHz kit successfully to a stable 3200MHz but my problem is that ive loosened the timing quite a bit to make the clock possible.

Which one is more meaningful on ryzen cpus, tighter timings or higher speed?

Solution
That's a tricky question. Both have their benefits. In some apps the tighter timings helps more than the speed, but only to a point. And the same can be said in reverse.

Your DIMMS obviously have an XMP setting, so you could try Ryzen dram calc here : https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

It's useful in that you can import the XMP profile (just follow the instructions) and get the best timings available at a given speed for your DIMMS. This will give you the best of both worlds, and all you have to do really, is input the timings manually.

Clearly it's best to have both tight timings and the most speed you can eek out.
That's a tricky question. Both have their benefits. In some apps the tighter timings helps more than the speed, but only to a point. And the same can be said in reverse.

Your DIMMS obviously have an XMP setting, so you could try Ryzen dram calc here : https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

It's useful in that you can import the XMP profile (just follow the instructions) and get the best timings available at a given speed for your DIMMS. This will give you the best of both worlds, and all you have to do really, is input the timings manually.

Clearly it's best to have both tight timings and the most speed you can eek out.

Solution

Agreed that obivously it is best to have both but in my case it seems like its either loose timings and high speed or tight timings and stock speeds (2666) but i'll see if the calculator offers better results than my manual inputs.

Do you think maybe lowering the oc to 3000 and then tightening the timings would be better than 3200 with worse timings? Ofcourse i will test this out on my own aswell but if you know the answer to that before i try it it'd just save me time haha.

Thank you for your response.

Last edited:
Agreed that obivously it is best to have both but in my case it seems like its either loose timings and high speed or tight timings and stock speeds (2666) but i'll see if the calculator offers better results than my manual inputs.

Do you think maybe lowering the oc to 3000 and then tightening the timings would be better than 3200 with worse timings? Ofcourse i will test this out on my own aswell but if you know the answer to that before i try it it'd just save me time haha.

Thank you for your response.

No problem. Glad to help. IMO the difference between tighter timings +3000 will roughly be the same performance as 3200 with looser timings. With just a couple of hundred mhz separating them they are really close. If you were talking about 3400mhz/3600mhz with looser timings, then the faster speed would give more of a boost. With just one or so mem strap in between, they are nearly the same.

You might get just a few more MBs of data bandwidth with tighter timings and 3000mhz, but you would hardly notice the difference unless testing with benchmarks, where you can see even the smallest gains.

Reactions: puw2