Question Ram question, does pc3l = ddr3l?

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I've recently been given an hp ay013na laptop, your basic entry level laptop, comes with 4gb of ddr3l 1600mhz as standard, I'm attempting to upgrade to 8gb (single slot) and the replacement ram I have got is the following...

Samsung m471b1g73qh0-yk0

Which is listed as ddr3 pc3l, 1600mhz, 1.35v, 8gb module.

However, it doesn't say specifically that it is ddr3l, but that said, I am also lead to believe that ddr3 pc3l is just a different way of putting ddr3l, as the lower voltage matches, but this will not work on this machine, just the 3 blinks of the caps lock light with it fitted.

I have found the exact one from hp that I can buy, but when it's almost double the price of anything else I don't really wish to do that unless I can help it

Many thanks in advance for any advice, I should add that I've done a bios update to the newest one, and also poked around in the BIOS settings with the old stick fitted and I can't see anything that I can change to make it work.

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Oh I get that, but the new stuff I got is listed as 1.35v, and also says pc3l, the L standing for low voltage, in the same way that the L in ddr3l also stands for low voltage, so it amounts to the same thing, that's what was confusing me.