Ram Question for pc

RomanEdgez81

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
I am getting some new pc parts and my old rig has 6gb of ram and im ordering 8gb of ram so can i use them and have 14gb of ram in my new rig. My motherboard does have 4 slots for ram.

Solution
you might want to rephrase that into a question perhaps?

I'll go out on a limb here and try answer what I think you're asking:
1. Will they be compatible? Well, that will depend on the speed of the Old RAM, new RAM, and the Motherboard capabilities - maybe post the specifications of each.
2a. The 6GB is made up of 2 x 3GB chips, the 8GB made up by 2 x 4GB chips - will this be ok? Yes - see point number 3
2a. The 6GB is a single chip, the 8GB is 2 x 4GB chips, will this be a problem? No - as long as they are on separate DIMM slot pairs (see point 3)
2c. The 6GB and 8GB chips are a single stick each, can they go on the same DIMM Pair? - No, they must be separate (see point 3)
3. Can you mix different types of RAM? Yes, as long as...

Brillis Wuce

Distinguished
As long as the're both DDR3, they'll work, but there are some things you should know...

If your old RAM is slower than your new RAM, your new one will be downclocked to match the old RAMs speed.

Also, if they are 2 different sizes, you won't be able to run in Dual Channel mode, which gives a minor performance increase.

Other than that, it should work fine.

King Kevain

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
you might want to rephrase that into a question perhaps?

I'll go out on a limb here and try answer what I think you're asking:
1. Will they be compatible? Well, that will depend on the speed of the Old RAM, new RAM, and the Motherboard capabilities - maybe post the specifications of each.
2a. The 6GB is made up of 2 x 3GB chips, the 8GB made up by 2 x 4GB chips - will this be ok? Yes - see point number 3
2a. The 6GB is a single chip, the 8GB is 2 x 4GB chips, will this be a problem? No - as long as they are on separate DIMM slot pairs (see point 3)
2c. The 6GB and 8GB chips are a single stick each, can they go on the same DIMM Pair? - No, they must be separate (see point 3)
3. Can you mix different types of RAM? Yes, as long as they are installed on different paired DIMM slots - i.e. the 6GB should be in the A slots (the same colour), the new 8GB should be in the other paired slots.

The RAM bus/clock speed will be determined by the slowest chip.

Solution

Latest posts