[SOLVED] RAM Recommendation for overclocking I9 9900k with Z390 Aorus Master

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Hello guys. I read so many articles, discutions, reviews, but after all this, I don’t know wich is the best option between Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO and G Skill Trident Z RGB, as long as I want to overclock my I9 9900k CPU. I want 32 Gb and 3200 MHz or higher. As the title said, my mobo is a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master (thank God, yesterday was delivered). Now, after all those articles and reviews ( including G Skill Trident Z review on Tom’s Guide), I understand that the most recommendations for overcloking are inclined to G Skill Trident Z, wich have Samsung B-die chip, seems maybe to be more reliable, maybe supports better XMP 2, etc, I don’t know because despite the fact that I want to document, I still remain a begineer. I accept that the G Skill is a very good option for overcloking, and finnaly it can be a choise for me, plus it is in my mobo’s QVL despite Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO wich is not, but, in the same time, I love RGB ( I know, this is childish...hahaha), and I wish that all my RGB’s to be syncronised by Corsair Icue software, included the RAM’s RGB. From the other point of view, the overcloking is more important for the final goal, and I concluded that overcloking is not friend with RGB ( haha). In the same time, I wish to fill al 4 dimm slots for the best RGB ilumination, and Corsair offers false modules ( light enhacement), and G Skill don’t offers such a product.
  1. What is the best in this circumstances, G Skill Trident Z RGB or Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ? I know already that those models are not in the same performance class ( was said by Darkbreeze on this forum), and maybe an option to satisfy my sickness about RAM module RGB illumination is to choose Corsair Dominator RGB PRO ( those with the Capelix Led) wich have a bigger price I know, but this way meens only a 4x8 configuration, because Dominator RGB don’t offer false RGB modules. Same situation with G Skill Trident Z (only 4x8).
  2. What Ram configuration is more stable 2x16 or 4x8 ? I know alreay that 2x16 is more recommended because that way the CPU is less stressed. For the moment, I am oriented to 2x16, but I am open to change with 4x8 if is not such a big problem for stability and stress. Plus, on this forum was said in a discution about an Asus motherboard (dual channel) in that particular case, Asus recommends more a 4x8 configuration despite 2x16, but the moderator have not the same oppinion ( wich is evidently true). Now, wich is your recommendation in my particular case- Gigabite Z390 Aorus Master, 2x16 or 4x8 ?
  3. As long as I intend to use the rig for this moment only for gaming , but in the near future is possible to use it for other activities, such editing, streaming etc,and that way to need more Ram , for this initial moment what is it to do, to buy only 16 Gb ( 2x8 wich have less latency-14, but after, when the moment will come, for the compatibility of the Ram chip to buy practically all the modules, or from the start to buy 32 Gb ?
  4. My preliminary conclusion is that between Trident Z RGB and Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO, the first are more professional product, more compatible with almost all Z390 mobos, including my Aorus Master, more oriented for overclocking,and more and more. But what I have to do with the RGBs ( for sure I am sick) ? Is Vengeance RGB Pro such a bad choise for overclocking , really pushing down the level of my system ?
Please guys, be very tolerant with my indecision, I aplogise, you are my last hope to find a good answer. Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Aorus Z390 Master has T topology which favours 4 dimms . For b die memory you should aim for either 3200 mhz cl14 or 3600 mhz cl16 . For rgb memory you should consider either gskill trident z rgb or corsair dominator platinum rgb .

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
It seems like it was a very difficult question.In the end, because it was necessary to choose between the two, I decided to order a kit Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8 Gb, in fact CMW16GX4M2C3200C14 Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz CL14, Timing 14-14-14-34, Intel XMP 2.0 Ready. Exept the chipset, wich I don"t know what brand is, I was glad I found this Corsair kit with 14 latency. In this way, I hope I will get performance in games as well as RGB synchronization. I am worried that this ram is not in QVL. What do you think of my choice ? Thanks.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Aorus Z390 Master has T topology which favours 4 dimms . For b die memory you should aim for either 3200 mhz cl14 or 3600 mhz cl16 . For rgb memory you should consider either gskill trident z rgb or corsair dominator platinum rgb .
Thank you very much for your answer. After you delivered the information that my Aorus Master Z390 has T topology, I tried to discover more information about this, and I found a discution on another forum about the most indicated combination between this mobo and RAM View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/aic4lj/ram_decision_on_9900k_and_aorus_z390_master/

, but after this and other discution wich I found, incuding those are exist on our forum, I still remain with the initial question. Is true, many people try to find the best solution and maybe they found it, but I don’t know wich is it. Exclusively for the number of the DIMM’s Should I go with two dimm like usual plus wihout much stress on Ram controler, or shoud I go with four dimm considering the T toplogy, but in the same time with much more stress on the controler ? Both configuration number of the dimm’s can achieve the same parameters in overclocking ? Finnaly, for to be able to do a good overcloking, I am ready to give away the RGB sinchronisation. I opted for the two dimm kit with CL 14 considering the most gamers opinion about what is the most indicated specs and configuration in gaming, but now, the theory about T topology of my mobo, put me in a dilema. Please help me if you can. Thank you.
L.E. I found this tool an its creator claim this is able to offer a good information about Samsung b-die https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/. If it is true, the only question remain about the number of dimm considering the T topology and the posibility to overclock it. Wich is better between the upmentioned ? I understand from another discutions that Aorus Master Z 390 have difficulties to overclock the Ram above 4200 MHz, but for me is not very important, I dont want to go to the sky with Ram.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018
Thank you very much for your answer. After you delivered the information that my Aorus Master Z390 has T topology, I tried to discover more information about this, and I found a discution on another forum about the most indicated combination between this mobo and RAM View: https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/aic4lj/ram_decision_on_9900k_and_aorus_z390_master/

, but after this and other discution wich I found, incuding those are exist on our forum, I still remain with the initial question. Is true, many people try to find the best solution and maybe they found it, but I don’t know wich is it. Exclusively for the number of the DIMM’s Should I go with two dimm like usual plus wihout much stress on Ram controler, or shoud I go with four dimm considering the T toplogy, but in the same time with much more stress on the controler ? Both configuration number of the dimm’s can achieve the same parameters in overclocking ? Finnaly, for to be able to do a good overcloking, I am ready to give away the RGB sinchronisation. I opted for the two dimm kit with CL 14 considering the most gamers opinion about what is the most indicated specs and configuration in gaming, but now, the theory about T topology of my mobo, put me in a dilema. Please help me if you can. Thank you.
L.E. I found this tool an its creator claim this is able to offer a good information about Samsung b-die https://benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/. If it is true, the only question remain about the number of dimm considering the T topology and the posibility to overclock it. Wich is better between the upmentioned ? I understand from another discutions that Aorus Master Z 390 have difficulties to overclock the Ram above 4200 MHz, but for me is not very important, I dont want to go to the sky with Ram.
If you have already bought 2*8 gb kit then you should keep it & not worry too much about it .

Reactions: Violett