[SOLVED] RAM set up for underperforming i9 10 core processor i9-10900x quad channel (3.7ghz)

Nov 8, 2020
Hi all - okay so I think i made a mistake with my custom build. I have I9-10900x quad channel and I have 2 x 16 corsair vengeance DDR4 2666 RAM in there. Current RAM specs: CM4X16GE2666Z16K4, 16 19 19 35, 1.2 V. The performance is nowhere near what I was hoping.

Question - will putting 2 extra sticks in there unlock some performance? i.e have i definitely ballsed up here?
Question 2 - if so, can I buy another 2 x 16 and slot them in (I can't find exact spec of above, but something similar), or do I need to buy a whole new 4 x set?

I am using this for very demanding audio synthesis etc.

thank you so much. IT knowledge pretty basic, so keen to avoid complex BIOS changes etc. Just want a non-hobbled system. Jack

Solution
The performance is nowhere near what I was hoping.
..maybe you expected too much (is not meant sarcastic).

will putting 2 extra sticks in there unlock some performance? i.e have i definitely ballsed up here?
-yes. Having 2 sticks, you're using memory in dual channel config. You need 4 stick to run RAM in quad channel mode.

if so, can I buy another 2 x 16 and slot them in (I can't find exact spec of above, but something similar), or do I need to buy a whole new 4 x set?
You can buy only two (as similar as possible to those you already have!) sticks and system will run in quad mode. However, because all sticks are not exactly the same, performance might be less than optimal -still much better than only two stick...
The performance is nowhere near what I was hoping.
..maybe you expected too much (is not meant sarcastic).

will putting 2 extra sticks in there unlock some performance? i.e have i definitely ballsed up here?
-yes. Having 2 sticks, you're using memory in dual channel config. You need 4 stick to run RAM in quad channel mode.

if so, can I buy another 2 x 16 and slot them in (I can't find exact spec of above, but something similar), or do I need to buy a whole new 4 x set?
You can buy only two (as similar as possible to those you already have!) sticks and system will run in quad mode. However, because all sticks are not exactly the same, performance might be less than optimal -still much better than only two stick (dual vs quad).
But (here it comes)... it can happen, system will refuse to work with both pairs of sticks installed (i.e. one pair not recognized). In this case try to reinsert pairs of sticks in different slots (switch them). If still doesn't work, then the difference between RAM sticks is probably bigger than you thought.

Buying four sticks (set) is always more safe approach -especially if you're not familiar with RAM related settings inside BIOS.

Solution
Nov 8, 2020
thanks so much - okay, so have bought 2 x new 16 gb sticks, same brand and as close as i could get to spec. Now, next question, which slots do I put them in on my ASUS 299 PRIME DELUXE motherboard? of the two currently in there, looks like they are in the first priority slots as outlined here https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-X299-DELUXE/ - presume the two additionals would go into the second priority slots? i.e. the two slots at either end? Really appreciate your help on this.

See page 1-5 in manual. As you can see, you should populate slots: A1,B1,C1 and D1.
Also see page 1-6, where it's written:
For Intel® Core™ X-Series Processors (6-core or above), you may install varying memory sizes in Channel A, Channel B, Channel C, and Channel D. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the quad-channel configuration.

Let's hope you'll get performance you wish :)

Nov 8, 2020
hi all - okay, so after a lot of failed attempts, the RAM is IN and being recognised by the computer. Now - how do I be certain that this means that Quad Channel Memory is definitely activated on the machine? Any thoughts?