[SOLVED] Ram showing up incorrectly in CPU-Z

Jan 14, 2022
I've searched and scoured, and I can't seem to find a proper answer for this one.

I replaced my laptop ram with Team Group DDR4 3200. It shows up in BIOS as 3200, it shows up in Windows as 3200.

I'm confused however as CPU-Z shows the DRAM frequency at 798. Shouldn't it be showing 1600 for double data rate?

cpuz.png
cpuz2.png

Last edited:
Solution
What kind of processor do you have?

CPUz has a bug with the new Tiger Lake 11th Gen Intels - from what I have found.

I have a brand new lenovo Thinkpad i5 from the VA. Went to seeing about my ram speed out of curiosity since I have never really delved deep into hardware on comps until now - long story dealing with horrible places like Cyberpower. Updated Bios, Had Lenovo premium care remote into my device.

Anyway, this guy explains it pretty well https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-15-3501-Ram-Frequency-Issue/td-p/7774207. or this https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ut-i-have-installed-2666mhz-DDR4/td-p/7821053 - Dude who posts the answer is more than qualified IMO if...
Jan 17, 2022

CPUz has a bug with the new Tiger Lake 11th Gen Intels - from what I have found.

I have a brand new lenovo Thinkpad i5 from the VA. Went to seeing about my ram speed out of curiosity since I have never really delved deep into hardware on comps until now - long story dealing with horrible places like Cyberpower. Updated Bios, Had Lenovo premium care remote into my device.

Anyway, this guy explains it pretty well https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-15-3501-Ram-Frequency-Issue/td-p/7774207. or this https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ut-i-have-installed-2666mhz-DDR4/td-p/7821053 - Dude who posts the answer is more than qualified IMO if you look at his profile.

CPUz is halving the half. What is you see as 800 is actually 1600. This is confirmed by using HWINFO64.

I suggest no one use CPUz and stick to HWINFO. CPUz hates Tigers for some reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: lepugh
Solution
Jan 14, 2022

Anyway, this guy explains it pretty well https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-Inspiron-15-3501-Ram-Frequency-Issue/td-p/7774207. or this https://www.dell.com/community/Insp...ut-i-have-installed-2666mhz-DDR4/td-p/7821053 - Dude who posts the answer is more than qualified IMO if you look at his profile.

CPUz is halving the half. What is you see as 800 is actually 1600. This is confirmed by using HWINFO64.

I suggest no one use CPUz and stick to HWINFO. CPUz hates Tigers for some reason.

I will definitely double check this with hwinfo. My only issue with the second thread you linked is that the reply was "If you have DDR4 memory then its 4 times what CPUZ reports. 665 X 4 = 2660." My desktop also has DDR4 and it reports properly, but it's AMD not Intel. The laptop is in fact an 11th gen i7

This is some good info, thank you much

Jan 17, 2022
I will definitely double check this with hwinfo. My only issue with the second thread you linked is that the reply was "If you have DDR4 memory then its 4 times what CPUZ reports. 665 X 4 = 2660." My desktop also has DDR4 and it reports properly, but it's AMD not Intel. The laptop is in fact an 11th gen i7

This is some good info, thank you much

You said it yourself - it is AMD so it is reporting properly. My guess is that since the guy answered the way he did in the second link he knew this problem already existed with 11th gen and CPUz

Now just to be clear - I got a brand new gaming laptop in today - CPUz reported the correct frequency that matched HWINFO.

I would say it affects 11th Gen but not all 11th gen. Major Bug if you ask me. So you are probably experiencing the bug with your processor - my new one is not.

Jan 14, 2022
You said it yourself - it is AMD so it is reporting properly. My guess is that since the guy answered the way he did in the second link he knew this problem already existed with 11th gen and CPUz

Now just to be clear - I got a brand new gaming laptop in today - CPUz reported the correct frequency that matched HWINFO.

I would say it affects 11th Gen but not all 11th gen. Major Bug if you ask me. So you are probably experiencing the bug with your processor - my new one is not.

So following the rabbit hole, I downloaded SIV and HWinfo64.

I was poking through both and comparing results and digging around in some more in-depth system reports, and I think I found the issue that might be showing up. HWinfo reported 1598MHz current clock, and SIV showed me that the "uclk" speed was 798MHz. When I googled uclock I found this, from gamersnexus.com:

"Normally, the mclock (memory clock), uclock (memory controller clock), and fclock (infinity fabric clock) are run at a 1:1:1 ratio; for example, 1600MHz for all three when a 3200MHz XMP is applied".

Now I wonder if CPU-Z is either reporting the uclock speed with certain chipsets or boards, or certain processors in the 11th gen dip into a different ratio to achieve the proper rating for speed?

The CPU in my laptop is i7-11800H.

Reactions: YourMomma69
Jan 17, 2022
So following the rabbit hole, I downloaded SIV and HWinfo64.

I was poking through both and comparing results and digging around in some more in-depth system reports, and I think I found the issue that might be showing up. HWinfo reported 1598MHz current clock, and SIV showed me that the "uclk" speed was 798MHz. When I googled uclock I found this, from gamersnexus.com:

"Normally, the mclock (memory clock), uclock (memory controller clock), and fclock (infinity fabric clock) are run at a 1:1:1 ratio; for example, 1600MHz for all three when a 3200MHz XMP is applied".

Now I wonder if CPU-Z is either reporting the uclock speed with certain chipsets or boards, or certain processors in the 11th gen dip into a different ratio to achieve the proper rating for speed?

The CPU in my laptop is i7-11800H.

Not sure what any of that means lmao. Im new to this and just self teach/research.

I have submitted a ticket yesterday to CPUz letting them know that they dont work with 11th Gen - maybe they will see it. As we have found it is probably only certain chipsets that have the bug.

Glad you figured it out and everything is working like it should be.