[SOLVED] Ram Slot got fried,is there a way to repair it or replace it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
Here's my story:
Yesterday evening,i tried to turn on my pc but i wouldn't turn on when i press the power button,i opened my PC and i removed both of my Ram(2gb DDr2 and 4gb DDR3 Ram) and replugged them,and little did i know i had plugged the DDr2 2gb Ram the wrong way and i pressed the power button and my PC could now start but there was a burning smell and i immediately turned it off,the burning smell was coming from the 2gb DDR2 ram,the slot itself is now fried with the ram as well,and the ram slot is now not working
New motherboards are expensive so is there any way to repair or replace it?
Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3
I can also post some pictures of the fried ram slot if you guys want(just ask me)

Last edited:
Solution
I see 2 sticks of 240mm DIMM.
And which of those 2 is supposed to be DDR2?

If you care to look, the notches in the slots are in the same location.
However, DDR2 vs DDR3, the notch is literally in a different location.

4fzHuyY.png

So...both of those RAM sticks are DDR3.

USAFRet

Titan
I see 2 sticks of 240mm DIMM.
And which of those 2 is supposed to be DDR2?

If you care to look, the notches in the slots are in the same location.
However, DDR2 vs DDR3, the notch is literally in a different location.

4fzHuyY.png

So...both of those RAM sticks are DDR3.

Reactions: SawmMawia
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
P35C-DS3R was a lga775 gigabyte board that used ddr2/ddr3. With lga1156 that came after and definitely by the time lga1155 landed, DDR2 was non existant for anything but server boards.

DDR2 didn't come in 1333MHz, it stopped at the quite rare 1200MHz, most common was 800/1066MHz for faster systems and 533MHz for the dogs. DDR2 was 1.8v

Your ram is running at 1333MHz /1.512v in dual channel. That's NOT going to happen with DDR2. Ever.

Look at the pictures closely. You can See the slots/nooks line up even. Physically it's impossible to be DDR2.

USAFRet

Titan
There were boards that let you use either ddr2 or ddr3 depending on the chip you were using, yours is not one of them however. This is an example of one that allows you to use pretty much any AM2 (+) or AM3(+) chip so long as its 95w and under, its pretty much my favorite test board for most pre AM4 chips.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C-GS FX/index.asp
And even on those boards, it was one or the other.
Not both DDR2 and DDR3 at the same time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lol. I'll take that as a compliment.

But seriously, we only really stressed the point about both being ddr3 because IF you did have to replace the DIMM, you'd waste an inordinate amount of time and money trying to find 1333MHz DDR2, only to settle for 1200MHz, which then would not fit. Better to get things straight from the start, gets you up and running that much sooner, and hopefully cheaper.

Even if the RAM socket could be replaced, that does not mean the assorted circuitry it was/is connected to is not damaged.
-this possibility was pointed out in this thread. As reported by OP, this didn't happen in this case.

(What led anyone to believe the mainboard in question could accept both DDR2 and DDR3? Specs and mainboard printing clearly indicate 'DDR3'
Main question was, how to repair slot (not about RAM type). But as you can see, this question was already addressed in 2nd post -so, nobody believed that is possible.