[SOLVED] RAM slots ain't working or incompatible RAMs?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Hey guys , I have an MSI B350 Gaming pro and it has 2 RAM slots.

I tried testing the first slot (The one nearest to the CPU cooler) using an 8GB DDR4 2400mhz Hyper X kingston and it works just fine. Onto the 2nd slot , it fits but as soon as I power it up, nothing happens. The monitor's power signal is just blinking on and off but the screen is just black like it's never opening / booting,( but the cpu fans are running. )

I'm wondering if the 2nd slot is only for dual channel and cannot work alone.

Then I bought another Hyper X DDR4 8gb 2400mhz ( to make it 8gb x2) it opens as both slots have rams but it just displays 8gb instead of 16. I have to configure the XMP profile in the BIOS to make it utelize 16gb and It shows 16gb of ram but as soon as I get into gaming, the pc constantly restarts and sometimes going in Blue screen .

The RAMS are both working fine alone, but when together, they don't work properly.

Is the RAM slot the culprit?

Lots of people told me my RAMs wasn't compatible even with the same specs and manufacturer. They look differently. One's made in china and the other Taiwan. I bought them separately from different stores.

I sold the rams to get me an 8x2 RAM kit to make sure it's compatible but if the motherboard ram slot is the culprit, buying 2 RAMs is useless.

UPDATE: The motherboard was able to recognize the RAM in the second slot so I think the second slot it's not broken, Is it? Since it shows the RAM specs in the Memory - Z in the BIOS settings under overclock tab. Though I can't still open the computer with the second slot alone.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

PC specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
B350 gaming pro
8gb ddr4 2400mhz hyper x
Gtx 1070
True rated 500watts

Last edited:

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
The motherboard read both RAMs even in the second slot in the BIOS settings, does that mean the second slot works just fine? It wasable to tell in detail everything about the RAM and its specs.