[SOLVED] Ram speed lowered when I add more ram

May 19, 2020
So I purchesed some Trident z RGB ram, The exact same ram I have in my PC currently, 3200 mhz CL 16-18-18-38
whenever i add the other 16gb of ram I cant boot my PC without the ram speed staying stuck at 2133mhz, when i pull out the ram I can overclock it to around 3600mhz stable.
CPU- I7-8700k
600 watt PSU
gtx 1080 SC2
z370 MSI gaming plus motherboard.

Solution
As Trident doesn't manufacture the RAM themselves. While they may be the same model. They could have chips from completely different manufacturers and assembled at a different factory. That's the problem with trying to add RAM to existing RAM. Especially third party RAM. They have to default to the highest JEDEC standard timings both support. Rather than XMP settings.

You can try tweaking the clock rate, voltage and latency yourself. Creeping things up until you hit the max stable speed the various modules can all handle. That or return the new RAM, sell off your existing 16GB and get a 32GB factory matched set.
As Trident doesn't manufacture the RAM themselves. While they may be the same model. They could have chips from completely different manufacturers and assembled at a different factory. That's the problem with trying to add RAM to existing RAM. Especially third party RAM. They have to default to the highest JEDEC standard timings both support. Rather than XMP settings.

You can try tweaking the clock rate, voltage and latency yourself. Creeping things up until you hit the max stable speed the various modules can all handle. That or return the new RAM, sell off your existing 16GB and get a 32GB factory matched set.

Solution
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

You are fortunate that it runs at all.
Intel does not depend much on ram speed for fps or app performance.
I suspect that you might do better if you make all of your settings in the bios and increase the ram voltage.

Reactions: DMAN999