RAM speed overclocking failed.

apprentajs

Reputable
May 7, 2018
Greetings.
I'm new to these overclocking things, so I would appreciate some advice. Even though I'm not aiming to overclock anything, I just want my RAM to run at frequency it should.
I have Asus P9X79 motherboard with i7 3820 (3.60GHz) proccesor, and new 2x8GB HyperX Predator 2400MHz DDR3 RAM.

Now, when I look into BIOS advanced settings, I see that target DRAM speed is 1600MHz, and that target CPU turbo-mode speed is 3800MHz, even though I never tried CPU overclocking.
Ai Overclock Tuner, Turbo Ratio, CPU clock gen filter are all set on Auto.
Memory frequency is set to auto as well, but when I try to set it to 2400MHz, CPU target mode changes to "All core target CPU turbo-mode speed 3800MHz"
The problem comes when I try to apply the settings and start windows. It wont start, and after restart of the PC it says "Overclocking failed! please enter setup to re-configure your sytem.". So I have to change it back (to 1600MHz) or PC just wont start.

I dont know if I'm doing something wrong here, or I'm missing something, but I dont really understand it, so I would really appreciate someone explaining to me why is this happening, or what should I do.

Thank you.

Solution
My suggestion would be to use the XMP (AMD version) to set your memory settings. The XMP profiles are set up in the BIOS. You can consult the motherboard for specific instructions. After enabling XMP, typically you just select the 2400 MHz profile and hit enter.

8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Quad Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P9X79/specifications/

My suggestion would be to use the XMP (AMD version) to set your memory settings. The XMP profiles are set up in the BIOS. You can consult the motherboard for specific instructions. After enabling XMP, typically you just select the 2400 MHz profile and hit enter.

8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Quad Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P9X79/specifications/

Solution

apprentajs

Reputable
May 7, 2018
Thank you for the fast responce.
By the way, what do you mean by AMD version, I'm using Nvidia (GTX 690)?
Anyway, seems to work, I was able to boot up with XMP and 2400MHz, and seems to be fine. Bunch of other settings came up when I selected XMP but I rather left them on their default.
Thank you very much!

My mistake I had a AMD motherboard on my mind. AMD motherboards have an option pretty much exactly the same as XMP.