[SOLVED] ram speed & proc speed

Nov 14, 2019
hi guys, so now im working on my thesis. first i though i can compare both of RAM speed vs Proc speed for rendering audio and now i know im wrong. My question is if i overclock my proc to 3.8Ghz i what is the suitable ram speed? thank you i hope i get fast answer because my lecturer asking for answer in 5 hours

Solution
Firstly that depends on what processor you're even talking about because the CPU clock speeds aren't what determine what RAM is suitable for it, this is limited by the CPU's memory controller as well as the motherboard. Most modern day home computers at the time of writing this use DDR4 as a memory gen standard, which usually means you'll find memory sticks that range from speeds of 2133MHz all the way to 4000MHz. The standard high-end consumer ranges are 3200 and 3600MHz RAM speeds, 4000+ are heavy overclock ranges. Though these achievable speeds for DDR4 rely on the compatibility of the CPU and motherboard, which you can find that information on the part's respective webpages.
Firstly that depends on what processor you're even talking about because the CPU clock speeds aren't what determine what RAM is suitable for it, this is limited by the CPU's memory controller as well as the motherboard. Most modern day home computers at the time of writing this use DDR4 as a memory gen standard, which usually means you'll find memory sticks that range from speeds of 2133MHz all the way to 4000MHz. The standard high-end consumer ranges are 3200 and 3600MHz RAM speeds, 4000+ are heavy overclock ranges. Though these achievable speeds for DDR4 rely on the compatibility of the CPU and motherboard, which you can find that information on the part's respective webpages.

Solution
Nov 14, 2019
my specs :
  • proc : AMD r5 2600
  • motherboard : MSI b450M Gaming Plus
  • RAM: G Skill RipjawsV F4-2666C19-8GVR

whats speed is suitable form my RAM if i overclock my Proc to 3.8 i dont want to get bottleneck

Adding to what Phaaze said - your RAM's speed is only 2666MHz, so if you were asking earlier what speeds are suitable to set your RAM to, then please take the time to research how to overclock RAM properly since going from 2666MHz to 3200+ MHz can cause system instability if done incorrectly. Chances are you may need to buy faster RAM since that leap in speed is quite high.

But as far as your motherboard's website spec list states; it can handle RAM speeds of up to 3466MHz, which phaaze showed above with a link.