[SOLVED] RAM Speed stuck at 2133Mhz

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I've had this issue for a long time and still have not been able to figure out why. I have A-XMP turned on in my bios to profile 2 (which is 2933Mhz), but when I play my games and monitor it my ram clock speed is still sitting at 2133.

The ram sticks I have are 3000Mhz sticks, and my motherboard and CPU both can support at least 3200Mhz. I don't want to mess with the voltages as I really have no idea what I would be doing and I don't want to mess anything up, but this has been causing me confusion for a while now considering my ram is underclocked and not clocked to where it should be.

Mobo: MSI B350 PC Mate
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengenace 3000Mhz
GPU: RTX 2060

Solution
I've had this issue for a long time and still have not been able to figure out why. I have A-XMP turned on in my bios to profile 2 (which is 2933Mhz), but when I play my games and monitor it my ram clock speed is still sitting at 2133.

The ram sticks I have are 3000Mhz sticks, and my motherboard and CPU both can support at least 3200Mhz. I don't want to mess with the voltages as I really have no idea what I would be doing and I don't want to mess anything up, but this has been causing me confusion for a while now considering my ram is underclocked and not clocked to where it should be.

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz

Sometimes there are no preset SPDs for easy...

What does task manager show for ram speed?
Get the latest non-beta bios for your mobo.

First try to set XMP in the BIOS. It should be 3000MHz.

RAM: 2x8 Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz

Sometimes there are no preset SPDs for easy Overclocking (such as XMP or the AMD equivalent D.O.C.P) programmed into the RAM chips or Bios values don't match.

In that case Bios will try to set a safe set of values to allow the system to post. The frequency may be set to a value lower than the rated frequency so you will have to manually tune your RAM timings and set the Dram voltage (as prescribed by the manufacturer) and set frequency to 3000MHz. Tweaking voltages may be necessary but important.

Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might have changed with bios updates but don't think 3000 is officially supported on early Ryzen's and would use 2933 instead.

XMP should set dram voltage to 1.35v which is normal for this speed. Change it to this value If it doesn't set it automatically.

Another similar issue I've come across is the particular ram slots used. 1st and 3rd slots can limit XMP speeds, if in case, 2nd and 4th slots from cpu is recommended and should be used anyway as they are the primaries.

Might have changed with bios updates but don't think 3000 is officially supported on early Ryzen's and would use 2933 instead.

XMP should set dram voltage to 1.35v which is normal for this speed. Change it to this value If it doesn't set it automatically.

Another similar issue I've come across is the particular ram slots used. 1st and 3rd slots can limit XMP speeds, if in case, 2nd and 4th slots from cpu is recommended and should be used anyway as they are the primaries.
Wrong, 2700x is not "Early Ryzen" and is capable of 3600MHz+ memory.
Here only problem coukd be because b350 chipset MBs with bad memory topology. But even 2933MHz it's better off than with 2133MHz RAM.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wrong, 2700x is not "Early Ryzen" and is capable of 3600MHz+ memory.
Here only problem coukd be because b350 chipset MBs with bad memory topology. But even 2933MHz it's better off than with 2133MHz RAM.

Early Ryzen i did mean motherboard, sorry. Anyway, it's obvious 2700x isn't or wasn't 'early', depending how you look at it now, and you should have known i knew that. But anyway... I meant as in back then, not sure about now with updates since for the motherboard or if processor has any involvement in the matter how the motherboard handles odd timings and 3000Mhz. I thought 3000MHz wasn't properly supported that it's either 2933 or 3200+.

Oh and i felt the wind from your waving finger as you said wrong :p

Last edited:
Early Ryzen i did mean motherboard, sorry. Anyway, it's obvious 2700x isn't or wasn't 'early', depending how you look at it now, and you should have known i knew that. But anyway... I meant as in back then, not sure about now with updates since for the motherboard or if processor has any involvement in the matter how the motherboard handles odd timings and 3000Mhz. I thought 3000MHz wasn't properly supported that it's either 2933 or 3200+.

Oh and i felt the wind from your waving finger as you said wrong :p
I thought you meant it because of IMC limit of 2933MHz but it's not a hard limit like in some other CPUs, it could be overclocked a lot. I had it running on this same MB qt 3600MHz and even pushed to 4000MHz although with ridiculous latency which made it worse than at 3600 Cl 16.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
What does task manager show for ram speed?
Get the latest non-beta bios for your mobo.

The task manager shows 2133 Mhz, and I did research and found out that sometimes the task manager does that when my memory is actually running at the advertised speeds it's supposed to. But I downloaded a software called "CPU-Z" that shows me my RAM clock speed and it shows 1066 (which is basically 2133), so I knew that there was an issue.

I actually have my RAM sticks in the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU, so that is also another thing that is confusing me as to why my speed is so low. I'm going to try and manually set my stuff and adjust my voltages to see if that works.

Rallient

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
Quick update: so even with XMP turned on and the frequency set to 2933, the bios ACTUALLY said my RAM was still at 2133. So, I have to manually adjust the RAM memory clock to 2933 instead of at "auto" so that it would actually run at 2933. I didn't touch the voltage since it was at 3.45, soI figured it should still be fine and if I run into problems now I actually know how to fix it. Thanks for all the help guys!