[SOLVED] Ram speed suddenly shows only half what it should be in Task Manager ?

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
So yesterday was playing around with overclocking Ram. Task Manager was showing 3200mhz (I always check Task Manager first just quick before CPU Z) Today I was having stability issues with Witcher 3 not launching so I decided to back RAM down to XMP Profile 2 on Motherboard which is 2934mhz. Everything was fine, game launched and was playing except Task Manager was only showing 1600 when RAM was set to 3200mhz and now is only showing 1467 with XMP enabled ?

I understand 1600 is half of 3200mhz but it NEVER showed it as half speed before. I have had this system a few months and it NEVER showed Ram speed as half. CPU Z is showing dual channel and correct speed but now I'm getting stuttering some that I never had before. Could RAM just be getting to point of needing to be replaced? RAM was purchased second hand and is pretty old. Problems seemed to come from nowhere because I was slightly overclocking CPU to 3.8 and RAM to 3200 on memory try it but had no issues messing around before stability test. First time game crashed I decided to back everything down to default and didn't bother testing.

MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC
Ryzen 5 1600af
RTX 2060 OC
Corsair Vengence 3000mhz
EVGA 650

Solution
Just for the sake of reference, I'm on Windows 10 version 21H1 and I can't seem to find the frequency for the ram mentioned in Task manager, unless you're using another OS and or I'm looking in the wrong place. Another note, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for the X.M.P profile, you're advised to input the timings, frequency and voltages in BIOS manually as opposed to flicking an radio button in BIOS/ie. X.M.P.

Lutfij

Titan
Just for the sake of reference, I'm on Windows 10 version 21H1 and I can't seem to find the frequency for the ram mentioned in Task manager, unless you're using another OS and or I'm looking in the wrong place. Another note, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for the X.M.P profile, you're advised to input the timings, frequency and voltages in BIOS manually as opposed to flicking an radio button in BIOS/ie. X.M.P.

Solution

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
It's just strange this has always been accurate up until yesterday.

I understand it's not CPUID but it's still always given an accurate readout of what frequency it was set to in Bios.

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
At work now will have to check when I get home.

Thanks

CameronCant

Commendable
Aug 21, 2021
Just so I understand completely on second part; whatever is on the actual RAM Stick I should just manual input those settings versus setting XMP and leaving everything else on Auto? Mhz, timing and voltage?

I was always under impression XMP did that.

Thanks for the Help!

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Just so I understand completely on second part; whatever is on the actual RAM Stick I should just manual input those settings versus setting XMP and leaving everything else on Auto? Mhz, timing and voltage?

I was always under impression XMP did that.

Thanks for the Help!

Enabling an XMP profile should set those for you. Primary timings, voltage, mobo should train the memory for the rest of the settings. If BIOS says 3600 Mhz (on Monitor-page or sidebar), CPU-Z says 3600 Mhz (and optionally Aida64 says 3600 Mhz), it's running at 3600 Mhz.

Reactions: CameronCant