Question RAM Speed

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
I recently bought 2 RAM sticks with 4GB each and a speed of 3000MHz and I added them to my slots with the same RAM but a different speed, 3200MHz. The RAM is the Corsair Vengeance LPX model. Right now my RAM speed is set to 2666MHz but previously it was at 2133MHz. I used the XMP thing in the bios and it changed the speed up to 2666MHz and that's it, it will not let me pick higher speeds. I didn't want to buy faster RAM sticks because I thought 4 of my RAM sticks will run at the same speed of 3000MHz ( and I didn't want to waste money ) but the speed is quite below it. My motherboard is a Gigabyte z270P-D3.

You can manually increase the speed of the RAM, all overclockable motherboard have that setting. XMP is more of a preset, you can always customize the setting. Find a setting that says 'DRAM speed' or something similar, and has a value of 2666, and change it to 3000 in the BIOS.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
I was trying to play with the setting in the bios but I literally couldn't change anything, one setting that I could change was something to do with the speed but the numbers that it let me choose were 133 and 266 and I can't remember the others. I think there is one option but it is in grey letters and I can't click on it and change anything and that had something to do with the speed I believe.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
The ram is from the same brand and it is the exact same model but just a different speed and I've read lots of forums and people were saying that after mixing two ram sticks of different speed, the motherboard should change the speed so that both of the sticks run on the lowest speed out of the 2 sticks which in my case would be 3000MHz but with 4 sticks.

The ram is from the same brand and it is the exact same model but just a different speed and I've read lots of forums and people were saying that after mixing two ram sticks of different speed, the motherboard should change the speed so that both of the sticks run on the lowest speed out of the 2 sticks which in my case would be 3000MHz but with 4 sticks.
Yes, that's what should happen IDEALLY, but sometimes the two different kits don't work well with each other, which can indeed cause the RAM to run at lower speeds. If the 3000 MHz option is grayed out, then you probably will have to make do with whatever is available. You can try switching the RAM modules around a little bit, sometimes that helps - for example I have two RAM sticks, and when I install, say, module one closer to the CPU, I can get 3000 MHz, but if I install the other module closer to the CPU, I cannot boot at 3000 MHz. So try switching modules around a bit, see if you have better luck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Support for DDR4 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666(O.C.) / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules

Not the board issue, more likely a Ryzen issue with 4 ram sticks. You could try bumping the System Agent slightly (not sure what Gigabyte calls it in that bios) and giving the ram a 0.05v boost. Ryzen have a strong preference for 2 sticks in dual channel and do sometimes require a slight bump to get 4 sticks working well.

J4CoB1

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Hi guys and sorry for a late reply I was a bit busy, I managed to solve the problem by simply overclocking the ram to 3000MHz and started the PC with no problems. Thank you for all the replies anyway. Have a great day.