Question Ram Stability When XMP Disabled

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I hope I can get a little help with an issue I've been having. For some reason, if I DON"T have my ram's xmp profile enabled in my bios, my pc becomes very unstable with random crashes and blue screens. I would like to not use the xmp profile as I find it adds a lot of extra heat to my cpu. Any thoughts as to what setting is being changed aside from speed between XMP On/Off that would cause the stability issues?. Thanks.

win 10
i7 7700k stock MCE 4.5gz
noctua dh15 cooler
asus prime z270a
12g ddr 4 Team TForce
rtx 2080
corsair gold 750 psu

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Something about having the xmp profile does add heat to the cpu, there's actually a little bios message that pops up saying to make sure the system has adequate cooling when enabling xmp. If I run prime small fft tests, cpu temps max at around 73 degrees disabled and closer to 80 degrees when enabled according to Real Temp.
I only experience crashing when xmp is disabled. I know that sounds really weird, you would think it should be the other way around.

Something about having the xmp profile does add heat to the cpu, there's actually a little bios message that pops up saying to make sure the system has adequate cooling when enabling xmp. If I run prime small fft tests, cpu temps max at around 73 degrees disabled and closer to 80 degrees when enabled according to Real Temp.
I only experience crashing when xmp is disabled. I know that sounds really weird, you would think it should be the other way around.
First off, I wouldnt trust realtemp for temp readouts. But if it is really 80C, thats not actually a bad temp in p95, aince p95 puts such an unrealistic load on your cpu. It would almost certainly be lower in games.

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
My gaming temps are pretty good, mostly in the mid 60's with the odd spike to low 70's according to afterburner. I'm not in the danger zone or anything, just trying to figure out what would cause my ram to be unstable when xmp is disabled.

My gaming temps are pretty good, mostly in the mid 60's with the odd spike to low 70's according to afterburner. I'm not in the danger zone or anything, just trying to figure out what would cause my ram to be unstable when xmp is disabled.
Are you sure you're talking about CPU temp? Afterburner is a GPU utility, and reports GPU temp in the large part of the UI.
I'm not sure what would cause it to be unstable XMP disabled, but if it is stable with XMP, I'd suggest just using XMP.

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I've set up afterburner to display both gpu and cpu temps in the osd. I've had this weird ram issue since I first built my pc 2 years ago so i've just left the xmp enabled. However I recently upgraded my cooler to a noctua dh15 and was expecting my temps to be a little lower then they are since its such a well regarded cooler.

I've set up afterburner to display both gpu and cpu temps in the osd. I've had this weird ram issue since I first built my pc 2 years ago so i've just left the xmp enabled. However I recently upgraded my cooler to a noctua dh15 and was expecting my temps to be a little lower then they are since its such a well regarded cooler.
Upgrading cooler to a higher TDP rated one is not going to lower temps significantly. It will be able to handle more heat load if you OC, but the higher TDP rating itself won't lower temps very drastically.