[SOLVED] RAM stick causing crashing in games, blue screen follows in some cases.

exphyrian64

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
I bought a second hand PC and currently don't have the funds to upgrade the RAM. I could already tell an issue when I saw the previous owner had mix and matched RAM sets, regardless, I bought the PC, my first PC and has been running well.

Except for the fact it only has 6gb of ram, adding a third stick in single channel would put it to atleast 8gb... this is where the issue comes in.

Everytime I add this third stick, it’s almost as if I gave my computer the plague.
Every game crashes regardless of what it is, I’m pretty sure I could load solitaire and even that would crash. Also, 9 times out of 10 it has a blue screen of death immediately after, with a random error. A few suggesting driver issues but I doubt this because all my drivers are fine, even display ones (cleaned with DDU and reinstalled), and these problems cease when the stick is removed.

Specs:
FX 6100 (Need to upgrade that asap)
GTX 1060 6gb
6gb of ram, ddr3
M5A78L-M Plus motherboard

All the games I've played run well, except for battlefield V which I can only assume needs more RAM than my computer can give currently so I’d like to fix this issue if possible, on a side note, I ran memory diagnostics and windows confirmed there was a memory issue.

Also, checking RAM usage in RTSS shows that the standby list goes up to 4gb, is this normal?

Thanks for any help

Solution
Sometimes mismatched RAM sticks just don't work well together. That said you can give yourself the best chance of compatibility by manually setting the speed and timings to that of the slowest stick in the BIOS.
I bought a second hand PC and currently don't have the funds to upgrade the RAM. I could already tell an issue when I saw the previous owner had mix and matched RAM sets, regardless, I bought the PC, my first PC and has been running well.

Except for the fact it only has 6gb of ram, adding a third stick in single channel would put it to atleast 8gb... this is where the issue comes in.

Everytime I add this third stick, it’s almost as if I gave my computer the plague.
Every game crashes regardless of what it is, I’m pretty sure I could load solitaire and even that would crash. Also, 9 times out of 10 it has a blue screen of death immediately after, with a random error. A few suggesting driver issues but I doubt this because all my drivers are fine, even display ones (cleaned with DDU and reinstalled), and these problems cease when the stick is removed.

Specs:
FX 6100 (Need to upgrade that asap)
GTX 1060 6gb
6gb of ram, ddr3
M5A78L-M Plus motherboard

All the games I've played run well, except for battlefield V which I can only assume needs more RAM than my computer can give currently so I’d like to fix this issue if possible, on a side note, I ran memory diagnostics and windows confirmed there was a memory issue.

Also, checking RAM usage in RTSS shows that the standby list goes up to 4gb, is this normal?

Thanks for any help
List what all the different module stickers say.

exphyrian64

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
List what all the different module stickers say.

1333, 2 of them and one is 1866. If all three are in
One is hyperx, the other two are generic green sticks.
Googling the model number brings up the samsung site but thats about it, though I didnt look into it too hard. For your reference here it is
“MT16JTF25564AY-1GD41”

1333, 2 of them and one is 1866. If all three are in
One is hyperx, the other two are generic green sticks.
Googling the model number brings up the samsung site but thats about it, though I didnt look into it too hard. For your reference here it is
“MT16JTF25564AY-1GD41”
So how many modules are we talking in total here? If I'm understanding you correctly, you had two modules already equaling 6GB and wanted to add a third module which you say increases it to 8GB. That would mean the original two modules were completely different models and that it's a 2GB and 4GB already installed and you were trying to get another 2GB. Are you actually sure it already had 6GB installed or is it possible it was actually 4GB in two matching modules? The closest I found matching the model number you posted was MT16JTF25664AZ-1G4F1 which is a Micron brand DDR3 1333Mhz 2GB dual rank module.

Are there no other markings on the other modules?

exphyrian64

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
So how many modules are we talking in total here? If I'm understanding you correctly, you had two modules already equaling 6GB and wanted to add a third module which you say increases it to 8GB. That would mean the original two modules were completely different models and that it's a 2GB and 4GB already installed and you were trying to get another 2GB. Are you actually sure it already had 6GB installed or is it possible it was actually 4GB in two matching modules? The closest I found matching the model number you posted was MT16JTF25664AZ-1G4F1 which is a Micron brand DDR3 1333Mhz 2GB dual rank module.

Are there no other markings on the other modules?
The Hyperx one is 4gb, with that installed and the 2gb, I have 6.
So far adding the third and adjusting speed in my BIOS has worked, but dont want to say concretely yet.

The Hyperx one is 4gb, with that installed and the 2gb, I have 6.
So far adding the third and adjusting speed in my BIOS has worked, but dont want to say concretely yet.
If you are located in the US, you could buy a used 2x4GB DDR3 1600 memory kit on ebay for around $15-25 with 9-9-9-24 timings. Battlefield 5 gains a huge fps boost from memory in dual channel mode and fast memory will increase fps even more. You should try to get at minimum 8GB in 2 or 4 modules to run dual channel mode. The difference with your system may not be as dramatic as in this video, but it's a good example of running dual channel memory.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP8udDXeJPc

lynx1021

Distinguished
You need to make sure the memory you are buying is compatible, on older boards not all DDR3 is the same, needs to be specked for each board. Most older boards for DDR3 need low density memory (2rank , double-sided chips) I had to get that for my boards, see my signature.