Question Ram stick problem.

Jun 26, 2020
Of course another new build problem.
The ram is
Corsair vengeneance ddr4 2400mhz
Motherboard Msi B365m pro-vh.

When the RAM is in slot 1 the pc turn on intermittently every 2 seconds just barely starting.

In slot 2 the tower turns on lights up motherboard Light, cup Fans, case fans and front panel.
No video.

I know if I was thinking bad ram stick I was just expecting more of an error message.
I thought if the PC doesn't see RAM in slot 1 it goes to slot 2. Is the PC just not recognising the RAM in slot 2.
Yes pc starts with no RAM of course.
But aren't these new system such a pain with no beeps?

Jun 26, 2020
I think it's a bad RAM stick...or incompatible.

What do you mean...."Yes pc starts with no RAM of course. "
Sorry system fan, cpu fan and case lights/usb all run as normal with no intermittent shutdown.
As soon as RAM is in slot 1 it all turns on/off intermittently.
I have only got to a video out put twice. When I restarted it's back to the same.
I ran the test the same on the table on the motherboard box.
Ram in slot 1. Computer turns on off intermittently no video - board error light blinks cpu to dram light
Ram in slot 2. PSU runs steady, case fan, cup fan and with no video.
No ram psu runs steady, case fan, and cpu fan.
What I was saying was beep massages would be better but obviously plug in a speaker. I'm just used to Dell so sorry.

I'm just hoping this is a RAM stick or maybe PSU. I just want to reseat the CPU last on the list. Still waiting for friend with spare RAM.

Sorry I left out I ordered another PSU now 500w and better quality I hope. If that doesnt work I will reseat the cpu also. I had asked support if they thought it might be PSU. It might be when the RAM is in slot1 the PSU just can't get the pc to boot. But it has twice in 30 attempts.
I'm going to test this PSU in next few hours. Sorry if I have been leaving parts out as I had a plan of action to wait for new psu but MSI tech was getting me to run through the steps again.

Last edited:
Sorry system fan, cpu fan and case all run as normal with no intermittent shutdown.
As soon as RAM is in slot 1 it all turns on/off intermittently.
I have only got to a video out put twice. When I restarted it's back to the same.
I ran the test the same on the table.
Ram in slot 1. Computer turns on off intermittently no video - board error light blinks cpu to dram light
Ram in slot 2. PSU runs steady, case fan, cup fan and with no video.
No ram psu runs steady, case fan, and cpu fan.
What I was saying was beep massages would be better but obviously plug in a speaker. I'm just used to Dell so sorry.

I'm just hoping this is a RAM stick. I just want to reseat the CPU last on the list. Still waiting for friend with spare RAM.
I understand.
....and in general....with incompatible or bad RAM...you don't get a message...you just get problems...like it doesn't start etc.

Jun 26, 2020
Corsair vengeneance 8gb ddr4 2400mhz
Motherboard Msi B365m pro-vh.
Cpu Intel i3 9100F S1151
CiT 400W Micro Atx Power Supply
Cit Dark Star Tower

This has been tested with 2 GPUs also so not graphics card.
When VGA was connected it got to POST screen once. This was after reseating the RAM, resetting cmos, no HDD connected.
basically tried everything.

Keyboard and Mouse weren't moving on the screen. I also didnt have usb with OS plugged in. I restarted it and it didn't post the 2nd time or hasn't since.

I'm going to test PSU with multimeter first and next CPU after I try a different PSU.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020
I am updating this for other people who follow and not to make mistakes I might have made. Probably 1 that I knew just buying 1 stick of ram 8gb ddr4 you can't test when all you have is ddr3 at home.
Next always do the table top test when you get new motherboard, well if possible.
I'm sending motherboard and cpu back and will just go for amd. Who knows will be corrupt bios.
This is probably my cause
Did I just short circuit my PC? - Troubleshooting - Linus Tech Tips

Jun 26, 2020
I am hopefully shutting this topic down now and sorry if anyone found it confusing.
I got a new AMD motherboard and AMD8 cpu to work no problems. This Motherboard also needs to be updated if I want to put a Ryzen in so luckily I took the safe option.
To end this it could have been a faulty Motherboard which is rare.
People need to also watch out for gpu drivers more than saying are faulty as cause mix up in trouble shooting.
IT customer care are always convinced it's faulty gpu or bios.