[SOLVED] Ram sticks running at different speeds with XMP on

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
So for a while now I've had two corsair hyper x vengeance 8GB RAM sticks, running in dual channel at 3000MHz.
Now I bought another two hyper x vengeance 8GB 3200MHz sticks, because there weren't any 3000MHz for sale anymore.
I enabled XMP expecting all four of them to run at 3000MHz, maybe in quad channel, but CPU-Z is showing them running in dual channel, my original two at 3000, the new ones at 3200.

Is this ok? Should i reduce the timings of the new ones or just leave them the way they are?
I'm not even sure if my motherboard supports quad channel though, it's an Aorus Z370 Gaming K3, but if it doesn't, is it a bad thing if they run in... two different dual channels, i guess? If that's what it's called?

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah i see. Bandwidth field under spd tab is just a description of what the ram is. Dram Frequency along with timings under memory tab is what all four sticks are running at.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Mixing ram isn't a sure thing so you got lucky there. Im unsure of what your results were, what speed is all four running at?

Yes, your motherboard utilises dual channel architecture. That is fine with four sticks. Quad channel motherboards, different cpu and socket too mind you, have 8 dimm slots.

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
Mixing ram isn't a sure thing so you got lucky there. Im unsure of what your results were, what speed is all four running at?

Yes, your motherboard utilises dual channel architecture. That is fine with four sticks. Quad channel motherboards, different cpu and socket too mind you, have 8 dimm slots.

I've uploaded here: View: https://imgur.com/a/4brtsV4
an image of the "Memory" tab of CPU-Z, and the "SPD" tab with one image for each ram slot
The Memory tab shows 3000MHz speed, but the ram slots in SPD show 3000MHz for two of them, 3200MHz for the other two.

So I guess I'm not sure if all of them are actually running at 3000MHz or only two are running at 3000MHz and the other two at 3200MHz?

vici12

Honorable
Jul 20, 2016
Yeah i see. Bandwidth field under spd tab is just a description of what the ram is. Dram Frequency along with timings under memory tab is what all four sticks are running at.
Also, since they seem to work for now even though they aren't a kit, there's still a chance they might be unstable, right?

TRENDING THREADS